ramblings, data and Pictures of my Goldstar strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltimaPro

Reaction score
Hi Folks

My Lefty Goldstar strat (L22916) has been out for a refret job. Great job by the way, it plays like a dream again.
Mhh I had them put Elixirs on..... won't do that again, don't like the sound at all.

When I got back at home the guitar got a hum, so I checked the jack connection.. ok. Used my DMM and @#$# :evil: No connection between the bridge/strings and the jackplate. I knew enough, it I would have to open it up and do some soldering. Well I did and took the opportunity to make some pics of her inside. here they are.

Btw:
the neck is stamped : 8=11 (not sure about this one)
The stamp in the control cavity reads : 4=8=BB X
saddles : Final prospect
Tuners : "Deluxe"
Pickups : VII

Just thought I'd share the data.

Before the Refret job
tokai%20full.jpg

After the refret job
tokai%20overview%20640.jpg

Tokai%20control%20cavity%20640.jpg

As you can tell from the 2nd picture, the wire coming from the Tremolo had gotten loose.
Tokai%20pickup%20640.jpg

/Hans

All looks perfectly standard for a Goldie - which is a good thing. :p

What are Elixirs? Presumably pickups of some kind?

Mike

Hi,

Yes Elixirs are strings. They have some kind of coating to lengthen their live.
I feel they sound to high/thin. I'm told this would get better after a few day's/week. I'll see.

Yeah she look ok for a oldie, age is showing. But then again it's the same with me.

/Hans

Reason for the refret job was that the frets around the 12th where way to worn/low

Ah, OK, I stick to Ernie Balls myself, they seem to stay in good condition longer than the others I've tried.

I have a couple of 80s Strats (including my Springy) which have frets worn down pretty low around the 12th fret and above. I'm dreading having to get them re-fretted - I think I'll hang on as long as I can! Glad it worked out well for you with your Goldie.

Age improves a well made guitar, in my opinion. 8)

I hate new strings anyway.
When they are a week or two old, they start sounding to my likings. Just might be that the elixirs take a little longer.

Cant wait for that Blues tone I love so much from her....

UltimaPro said:
I hate new strings anyway.
When they are a week or two old, they start sounding to my likings. Just might be that the elixirs take a little longer.

Cant wait for that Blues tone I love so much from her....

My theory on Elixir strings or any other coated string is that you're going to suffer with respect to the true tone of the strings. Why the Elixirs?

Personally I prefer Nickel coated strings - D'Addario XL's (11's). They also offer pure nickel as well.

Well....... I juste thought lets try those.

I did, sometimes thing don't turn out the way you want.
I will be buying replacements soon I think.

/Hans

I used Ernie Balls for donkeys years. Decided to try something different. Thomastik powerbrights on my Love Rock are , frankly, a revelation Bit expensive but well worth it.

I now use Kerly Kues on my Strat as well. Again just that bit more *alive* than Ernie Balls. They are also strengthened over the first couple of inches, where the string passes through the body and over the bridge.

Hans,

I've tried the Elixirs on my Tokai LP ... it took 2 weeks to get used to the feel ... but when they had 'aged' enough I was very satisfied with the result ...
But - if you'd like to have your tone immediately ... this brand could be the wrong decision ...
Just my 2 cts ...
Roger

Thanks!

As I stated, I hate the sound new strings anyway.
Just this evening I decided to give the elixirs 2 weeks, if I don't like the, they go off.

Maybe they sound better on my Epi Dot

/Hans

I would advise everybody to try Elixirs once to see what they think. Personally I love the feel of them. They feel like the are oiled or something and your fingers just glide over the strings.

My 2c.

Nice Goldie by the way! :wink:

QuattroSte said:
I would advise everybody to try Elixirs once to see what they think. Personally I love the feel of them. They feel like the are oiled or something and your fingers just glide over the strings.

I like them on acoustics because I don't change the strings as frequently and regular bronze strings tend to oxidize and get funky over time. The Elixirs feel new all the time. Don't like them on electrics though.....

Latest posts

Back