Cleaning your knobs - a warning

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake375

Reaction score
I recently bought a goldie that was in a filthy state, but cleaned up nicely with a bit of work.

You know how strat-style knobs can get a lot of dirt stuck in them? Well an effective way I've found to clean this out very quickly (it takes literally 20 seconds per knob) is using a toothbrush and, you guessed it, toothpaste.

A word of warning though - on this occasion, I used whitening toothpaste, and remarkably it did for these knobs what it has never done for my teeth - it turned them white!

I now have a goldie with nicely aged pup covers and scrathcplate, but whiter-than-white knobs! They look brand new! It's kinda spoiled the look of the thing - I might have to buy some cream ones now! :cry:

I don't clean my knobs - with or without toothpaste. :-?

Now, lets have a bet on who will lower the tone of this discussion first. Mick? Marcus?

:lol:

Mike

stratman323 said:
I don't clean my knobs - with or without toothpaste. :-?

Now, lets have a bet on who will lower the tone of this discussion first. Mick? Marcus?

:lol:

Mike

I'll take the high road :wink: Whitening tootpaste has peroxide in it in addition to being more abrasive than standard paste - that's how it works better on your teeth and now your .....um, knobs (bet they're minty fresh too).

I think Goldstar knobs age to cream through exposure to UV light. My creamy ones are all white underneath.

They vary. This ST55 went cream:

118_1896.jpg

This one didn't:

144_4422.jpg

And one of these did, & one didn't:

132_3266.jpg

And this little Tokai went..... whang breeeeeeeeee dooooooooooooooo farp farp farp dee diddly doo do waaahhhhhhhhhhh klang.... all the way home :D

SteveDoG said:
And this little Tokai went..... whang breeeeeeeeee dooooooooooooooo farp farp farp dee diddly doo do waaahhhhhhhhhhh klang.... all the way home :D

You've heard Mike play then :wink:

Latest posts

Back