83-84 catalogs or info on the 58 & 59-models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlikeajungle

Reaction score
I'm looking to understand the '58-'59 models made by Greco better but apart from a one-page scan I found here, I'm not able to find out a lot of things... Can anyone pinpoint me? I'm at the moment also especially interested in LPC's like the RR & JS too. Any help, info etc. would be greatly appreciated since nor Google, nor browsing this forum & Japanaxe seems to get me some info...

imlikeajungle and me are talking about this specific guitar, if anyone can help us find out exact model.
'83, custom, used to have fret edge binding, dry 1982 pickups, long tenon, braided wire... please, check pictures

grecotruss.jpg

greco.jpg

greco4.jpg

greco3.jpg

greco8.jpg

greco16.jpg

greco17.jpg

greco18.jpg

greco19.jpg

Indeed but I was hoping people would also have more info than just defining this one so I don't have to ask everytime I see a 58/59 :)
Good looking LPC, S!

Hi guys, that cream LP is a RR-65, i have one exactly the same and it is one of my favorites. This is not a great picture but it has some of the models you guys are interested in.
tmc_61.jpg

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick,

Awesome, thanks!
I think I have another page of that catalog somewhere on my PC from another post of yours. Could you tell me if this catalog is up for grabs on the net somewhere, maybe with a slightly better resolution? :D
Thanks for the effort!!!

I wish i had one with better resolution, i can't remember where it came from but if you can wait a couple of months i will have access to a lot of greco info and maybe some catalogues.. :)

Mick

No, no fret binding. Well actually, if you get a very early Mint Collection LP you may be lucky and get a left over Super Real neck, i have seen a few like this.

Mick

hmmm
I'm confused now. This guitar had fret binding, but whoever changed frets, just cut bindings away. But you can still see some leftovers on some places. Is it possibile that is higher model?

Its definately a RR-65 and there's only 23 guitars between yours and mine, your serial is L831038 and mine is L831061 they were even made in the same month..... :) As for the fret binding , i had a look at your pictures and i can't tell if it had binding or not, do you have a better picture of the neck. It is still possible that yours has a leftover "Super Real" neck with the binding, i have seen a RR-65 with fret binding. Do you like the guitar.? mine has awesome tone and plays very well, it is all original.

Mick

wow, sisters! ;)
Greco sounds fantastic. A little bit more agressive than Tokai. I like it a lot. This one is also completelly original.
We're talking about 65 000 jen guitar - braided wires? Long tenon? Possibly fret binding? I wonder how sounds and looks 200000 jen worth Greco ;)

I'll take some photos today and post here.

I think {actually i was told by one of my Japanese friends} that these early mint collection guitars were some of the best guitars Greco made. Mine absolutely sings.....i love it.. :wink:

Mick

it was about time ;)

take a look at this picture, you can (hopefully) see the rest of the fret bindings
frets.jpg

Just because it has fret binding doesn't mean its not an RR-65, i have seen a couple that had fret binding and was told that they had used left over necks from the Super Real models, so it is not uncommon. Mark {villager} has an RR-65 on his site and originally he thought it was a EGC 1000,. but from what i can tell the EGC 1000's were all in black as they were a replica of the 59 model custom and they were Black.

Mick

tnx, Mick
that guitar on vilager page confused me. now I'm shure she is rr65.
actually - who cares about modely, this thing sounds great

Latest posts

Back