Bacchus?59 clone

Discussion area for other MIJ Guitars

Moderator: ned

Innos
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: Norway

Post by Innos » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:13 am

Never really looked into Bacchus guitars, but when I saw how stunning OPs was, I got on to eBay and found this beauty:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0295018586

Is this a good buy for someone looking for a good alternative to a Gibson, at a better price?
Seems it's about 750 bucks off new price, and I don't really mind the wear, it would look like that after a week in my posession anyway. =p

I was going for something cheaper, but that's a great price for one of those, isn't it?
I liked the looks aswell, natural+gold hardware and knobs kinda "spoke to me".
Also like the fact that the seller is forum member, makes me think he's genuinly interested, and not some guy making money off the interest in japanese guitars.

Looks like it has a nice long tenon (very snug fit, although it doesn't go all the way down), nice thick maple top etc.
How are the pickups and electronics (pots etc) in these? I'm looking for the typical 60's sound, going to be using it with a 18w clone.
I know pickups etc are easy to change, and I do know how, but I'd rather not have to.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:52 am

Quote from the seller - hisashi:

If you are particularly concerned about guitar condition, please DO NOT bid on my auctions

Since you have made a huge fuss about a dodgy $5 volume pot on your recent Springy purchase, I think he means you, Innos.

JohnA
Guitar God
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Leicester UK

Post by JohnA » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:18 am

It looks lovely!! If you 're going to buy it make sure you are aware of any issued like fret wear etc before you do.

Innos
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: Norway

Post by Innos » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:36 am

stratman323 wrote:Quote from the seller - hisashi:

If you are particularly concerned about guitar condition, please DO NOT bid on my auctions

Since you have made a huge fuss about a dodgy $5 volume pot on your recent Springy purchase, I think he means you, Innos.
Thanks for bringing that up...

Nani
Guitar God
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Old Trafford

Post by Nani » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:50 pm

throstur wrote:It is vital in IMO that this relationship is right for guitar of this design to adjust and work properly.
Another completely ridiculous statement, on the heels of your "vintage Gibsons have no binding nibs" silliness. It's just plain wrong.

A guitar can "adjust and work properly" with many tailpiece locations, including jazz guitars with floating tailpieces, flying v guitars with string through body tailpiece anchors, etc.

Owning a recent Bacchus doesn't give you any special knowledge on vintage guitars.

mrsuspend
Guitar God
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Post by mrsuspend » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Nani, chill out for f*cks sake! He has the right to any opinion he wants. :evil:

/Magnus

throstur
Guitar God
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Post by throstur » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Nani wrote:Another completely ridiculous statement, on the heels of your "vintage Gibsons have no binding nibs" silliness. It's just plain wrong. A guitar can "adjust and work properly" with many tailpiece locations, including jazz guitars with floating tailpieces, flying v guitars with string through body tailpiece anchors, etc. Owning a recent Bacchus doesn't give you any special knowledge on vintage guitars.
You are right Nani. I am not an expert on vintage guitars. However I have set up, repaired and restored hundreds of guitars, archtops, solid bodies, acoustics, you name it, most of them have been 20 to 50 years old. I am also an easy going and nice guy and a very good guitar player.

It is my personal opinion that you are a real pain in the ass Nani. I doubt that you own or play guitar at all. You seem to thrive on bitterness and envy. You probably don?t understand words like: joy, happiness, fun, nice, agree e.t.c.

Old Trafford? Probably some kind of an institution. Nice of the board to give the inmates access to computers and the Internet, but a bad thing when one of them starts abusing this privilege.

One bad apple can destroy all the healthy apples in a basket. You are obviously the bad apple on this Forum. To all other members that read this I say: Ignore this guy. I know I will from now on.
Last edited by throstur on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Nani
Guitar God
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Old Trafford

Post by Nani » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:10 pm

On second thought, your Bacchus was made by magical elves in exactly the same fashion as a '59 burst, in the only way a guitar can correctly be constructed to work.

It is a very lucky thing your stoptail is angled because if it wasn't, you'd have to throw it on the heap with the other hundreds of thousands of guitars with straight stoptails that don't work properly. Burn them all I say! Only Bacchus with no fret nibs and laminated top is the exact replica of the '59 burst, right down to identical layout of the factory coffee machine.

I eagerly await further wisdom from your vast guitar experience. What other magic does the Bacchus hold, pray tell?

youami
Guitar God
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Aussie in NZ

Post by youami » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Nani wrote: Another completely ridiculous statement, on the heels of your "vintage Gibsons have no binding nibs" silliness.
Why is this silliness? Where's your evidence that all vintage Gibsons had binding nibs?

Jeez you're a dumba** Nani!

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9031
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Nani wrote: I eagerly await further wisdom from your vast guitar experience. What other magic does the Bacchus hold, pray tell?
Dude, what's crawled up your ass with all of these bullshit, smart assed replies? Why all the piss and vinegar? Give it a rest, huh? If you don't like what you read here, take a f*(&%&g walk.

leadguitar_323
Guitar God
Posts: 3534
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post by leadguitar_323 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:03 am

The internet is full of hero's and Nani is another prime example, i would love to have one of your petty conversations in person mate , i can guarantee it wouldn't last as long as this dribble. It is quite obvious you know sweet f*%k all about anything and no one gives a ^&*( about your opinion and all you are doing is reinforcing what everyone already knows, your are a clown!!!! :evil:

Mick
so many guitars....so little money...

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:19 am

leadguitar_323 wrote: all you are doing is reinforcing what everyone already knows, your are a clown!!!! :evil:

Mick
Yet again Mick, me old mate, I have to disagree with you. Clowns are funny. Nani isn't. He's just someone who wants to spoil the nice, easy going atmosphere we have here.

I think throstur summed it all up beautifully.

Nani
Guitar God
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Old Trafford

Post by Nani » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:07 am

The Australians are always so lovely to be around. Another tough guy!

Let's just let all these ridiculous honeymoon-guitar-purchase "facts" slide and have a big perfect burst clone party for the Bacchus.

The fact that you are actually asking for proof that vintage Les Pauls has binding nibs shows that you aren't that familiar with what you are talking about. Shouldn't you have looked into some of these issues before declaring the Bacchus the perfect identical clone?
leadguitar_323 wrote:The internet is full of hero's and Nani is another prime example, i would love to have one of your petty conversations in person mate , i can guarantee it wouldn't last as long as this dribble. It is quite obvious you know sweet f*%k all about anything and no one gives a ^&*( about your opinion and all you are doing is reinforcing what everyone already knows, your are a clown!!!! :evil:

Mick

JohnA
Guitar God
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Leicester UK

Post by JohnA » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Nani, in case you hadn't noticed the converstaion moved on quite some time ago from " are Bacchus a perfect clone" to "what the hell is up with your attitude" . This is a discussion forum, people 'discuss' things, you can correct someones opinion without shooting them down in flames and being obnoxious

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:35 pm

JohnA wrote:This is a discussion forum, people 'discuss' things, you can correct someones opinion without shooting them down in flames and being obnoxious
The rest of us can - the trouble is that this prat can't.

Locked