Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz Sound: Authentic?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
crabbytiger
Plucker


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Jazz Sound: Authentic? Reply with quote

i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250252700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8763
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazz Sound: Authentic? Reply with quote

crabbytiger wrote:
i'm looking for info on a Tokai Jazz Sounds bass i'm about to buy on Ebay.
I want to make sure it's authentic before i go through with it. I can't find any Tokai basses online that look like it, with the maple neck...and there's apparently no serial #. I've been reading about the Canadian or Korean made 'Fakai'. Is this one?
Any help would be great....here's some photos:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250252700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:1123

thanks,
JP


Looks like you bought it...... a few things don't look right to me:

Black block fret position markers
Jazz Bass script on headstock
Headstock shape looks a bit odd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd.

Mike
Back to top
mrsuspend
Guitar God


Joined: 06 May 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neck wood looks very light, very much like my Korean 2000 Squier Precision and not at all like my 84 Tokai or my 93 MIJ Fender basses.
And considering that logo is supposed to be pre 83... I'd say fake.

/Magnus
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/thestuffweb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
crabbytiger
Plucker


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.
the plot thickens...
jp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrsuspend
Guitar God


Joined: 06 May 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Crabbytiger
Also it seems to be missing the very characteristic clouding of the chromed parts, although I'm not sure if all late 70's-early 80's Tokais fall victim to this?

/Magnus
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/thestuffweb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8763
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd.

Mike


You disagree with me? I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd.

Mike


You disagree with me? I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right.


No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all
Back to top
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8763
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
I disagree with Marcus - the headstock shape looks very odd.

Mike


You disagree with me? I said the same thing you did - the headstock doesn't look right.


No, you said it looked a bit odd. I think it looks very odd. A difference of emphasis, that's all


As they say, "it's the thought that counts", "like minds think alike", etc......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andyscott
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 173
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headstock looks extremely very peculiarly odd.

That's three feeble minds thinking alike now.

Original body, nasty fake neck. Someone's fallen in love with the real Tokai neck and put it on their favourite body. They have a beard, a limp, and an aunty called Betty who passed away in 1984.

That's my 40 odd years of experience talking.

None of them in Tokai basses or psychic matters, though - does that make a difference?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group