Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tokai strat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have now checked the serial no. on my MAT and it is a 7-digit number just like on my Love Rock. It also starts with a 4 (402xxxx), this would indicate that the guitar was manufactured in '84 even though it's a 1985 model. Since I suspect it's a prototype (it differs slightly from the guitars shown in the 1985 catalog) I think this is possible. I've owned a Tokai prototype before, a TST-55H strat that had a mix of chrome/black hardware.
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jav,

Many of the 2002 Love Rocks that I saw at NAMM had 01##### serial numbers indicating they were actually made 2001. Not surprising as it's only January.

Ned

Porsche 911 Racing
mark
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this. I have a goldstar strat, but the little oval sticker says 55. I have only seen one reference to a 55. The guitar is a mid 80s I think. Rosewood finger board,early 60s copy. I bought it 2nd hand. It has been modified with a bill lawrence dual coil p/u in the middle, a dimarzio humbucker at the bridge and (unfortunately)a khaler trem system which has since broken and I have had modified to be locked down. I'm quite happy with it as it is my first electric guitar. I'm a lefty and decent axes at affordable prices are hard to come by in that market.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, there was a TST-55L (lefthanded) in 1985, I don't know what the difference is compared to TST-50, the specs seem identical to me. There was also a righthanded TST-55. A pity somebody mounted a Kahler on it, it might be possible to remove it and put a vintage trem on it once again. It would probably sound better if you removed the Kahler since you lose some tone and sustain with it, normally the Tokai strats sound great acoustically.

Michael
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page 9 of the 85 catalog you can see the specs for the TST 50/55/60. Looks to me like the 55 had metallic paint - in the colour section MR (metallic red) and MB (metallic blue) have 55 next to them. Does this fit with your guitar?

James
mark
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James and Michael for your replies. I'm a bit of an idiot on the computer and I haven't quite got all of the detail down yet.
I'm in Australia and from what I've read different countries recieved different Tokais. James, my one is a 3 tone sunburst. I'm assuming that it is made of alder. The tuners seem to be vintage style with 'Deluxe' written on them. The serial no starts with L but I don't have it here at work with me.

I've thought about changing the bridge system back to its original style but I would have to get a new pick guard as well, as it has been cut to accomodate the Khaler. I also think that some of the wood has been routed out to fit it.

The same goes for the pick ups. The original at the neck has a lovely warm tone and the Bill Lawrence is good too but the Dimazio sounds very ordinary! Unfortunately the body and pick guard have been altered which I suppose affects tone, sustain etc.

I live in rural N.S.W. and I have actually only seen one other Tokai ever. I was so glad when I stumbled upon this site as I had heard only little snippets of info regarding the lawsuit thing and how Tokai were in many cases better than what they were originally copying. Thanks for all the info.
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, there goes my metallic paint theory
Yeah, its a shame about the Kahler. I'm pretty sure theres a bit of routing involved in installing those, and I guess there will have been some more done to fit the humbucker.
As to whether or not to 'restore' it to more traditional Strat specs, I guess it depends if you're happy with the sound now, particularly whether you want a single coil sound back at the bridge. Maybe take it to a luthier and get an estimate and then see what you think. Regardless, as a first guitar you've picked a good place to start.

James
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, there goes my metallic paint theory
Yeah, its a shame about the Kahler. I'm pretty sure theres a bit of routing involved in installing those, and I guess there will have been some more done to fit the humbucker.
As to whether or not to 'restore' it to more traditional Strat specs, I guess it depends if you're happy with the sound now, particularly whether you want a single coil sound back at the bridge. Maybe take it to a luthier and get an estimate and then see what you think. Regardless, as a first guitar you've picked a good place to start.

James
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mark,
Good to see another Aussie on the site.
I just moved from Sydney to Brisbane a few months ago but will try to help where I can.
The "55" sticker indicates it is a TST55, they cost an extra 5,000yen for Left hand models of TST50's (YSO,GS,BB,MR,OW) or for "Custom" paint ( metallics,greens, blues, your theory is correct James)
TST60's also had the same options til 1986. From memory, all Lefties were only offered in the 5 standard colours - no Custom paint.
With the Kahler though, they do require routing to fit so a standard strat bridge will no longer fit.
I suggest you contact Alan Rigg in Pymble, Sydney and talk to him. This man is a guitar guru. His list of clients is a who's who of Australian talent - Moss, Emmanual Bros, etc. He will be able to do whatever you need and give you no-bull advice on what can't. Let him know I recommended him to you.
Hope this helps
regards
Peter McGovern

[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-11 20:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-11 20:32 ]
mark
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm in Dubbo and it's not very easy to get to Sydney but I will definately try to get to Pymble next time I'm there. Since I wrote my first message I've been really thinking hard about the benefits of reverting to the original bridge system. I've since read in a book about Strats that their trem system was/is an intrgal part of the guitar's ability to sustain a note. I can't believe how stupid the original owner of the guitar was to interfere with it. I might search for a second hang trem system and see if I can refit it.The routing seems to be inside the body and not near the outside so I might be ok. Would you know if I need to get a special left handed device as I'm not interested in using a trem bar in my playing? Regarding the bridge humbucker I will not mess with it because the neck and Bill Lawrence in the middle have enough for me to change my sound. The B.L. also has a switch for one coil or two. Cheers Mark.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, if it's a lefthanded guitar, get a lefthand unit. Try to find one where the strings do not disappear to far into the sustain block. The should stay a couple of mm's from the end, this will enhance the sustain. Gotoh makes left hand versions, I think Tokai actually used Gotoh's. Also try to find a unit with a steel sustain block as this will also enhance the sustain. The cheaper ones have cast sustain blocks.

Michael
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mark,
Alan can be contacted on 0418-463-793. Talk to him first as he can get bits and pieces for you and advise on the pickups, etc.

Stevie Ray and Hendrix both used reversed tremelo units and swore by them. Just an option should a proper lefty not be available.

You can always change the scratchplate and pickup config at any time should you not want to keep the DiMarzio also.

regards
Peter
mark
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have contacted Al Rigg as I was recently in Sydney. He gave me advice about a Gotoh trem, left handed. The block is actually made of brass and the kit is only $30 - $40 more than a right hand kit with a steel block. They don't make a lefty kit with anything other than a brass block. Allan and everybody else I've spoken to since tells me that the brass helps to create a very sweet sound. Alan also said that the routed out area where the Kahler sits can be filled with anything, it won't really affect the sound. All the same, I'm going to glue in a nice piece of hardwood and sand it back. I'm not too fussed about the looks, I'm more interested in getting the sound right. While i was in Sydney I was going to get Allan to order me the part but due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't but the local music shop in Dubbo can get it for the same cost so it's on it's way.

Pete is there any way I can contact you personally to pick your brains about things?
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mark,
Send an email to
petermcgv@aol.com
and I will give you my phone numbers.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: