Sunburst Springy on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_dice

Reaction score
Would any of you 'Springy' aficionados care to comment on this example currently on ebay? Possible spec, questions to ask the seller etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160261387917&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

It looks OK to me, though there isn't enough information for me to be able to say which model or year. Apart from the usual questions you would ask about any Strat (condition of truss rod, straight neck - no twists, tightness of neck pocket, condition of frets, etc. etc.), it would be nice to know whether there are any stickers or stamps on the back of the neck at the base (probaly long since removed :( ) or maybe stamped into the fretboard above the 21st. This info would help to ID the model number.

You could ask what pickups it has, if the seller is prepared to remove the scratchplate. I would like to see the underside of the scratchplate if I was buying - I love those Tokai switches, & if that has been replaced it would ring warning bells for me. You could ask what is stamped on the tuners & bridge saddles too.

In the absence of all this information, I would assume it was an ST50, & bid accordingly. A red block decal ST50 (I think) recently sold for just over ?300 (surprisingly low), but ?400 is more usual for a typical Springy ST50.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Mike

If you look veeeery closely at the pic of the back I'm pretty sure you can see the top of the sticker. Ask the seller what is says (or better yet ask him to post a photo of it).
Some of the late Springys seem practically identical to the early Goldstars (U pups, final prospec saddles, deluxe tuners) but would probably cost ?50-100 more just because of the Springy name. It all depends if you're looking for a player or a collectable I guess.

Good luck! :)
/Magnus

Thanks for the hints chaps. I had already asked the seller for some of that info but haven't heard back yet. Will ask for some more detail before committing to a bid. I'm after a 50's style 'player' with a neck profile that's similar to my r/w Goldie so this seems to fit the bill on the face of it, but I'm in no rush so it needs to check out.

I haven't tried a maple Springy, but be warned that the necks on the maple Goldstars are noticeably chunkier than the rosewood board versions. I assume Springys are the same?

Back