ES Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesFan

Reaction score
I have been playing Epiphones for the last 10 years (LP Standard and Sheraton II) but now want to move up to a Japanese Tokai ES. Having looked around the internet I am a bit confused by the various models. There seems to be ES100, ES110, ES120, ES130 and ES135. Could someone please explain the differences or point me to a site that does this. I live in the UK so would like to know what models are available here. Thanks.

They follow the price of the guitar at its release: the 130 cost 130,000 yen. In 200...3?, this was the top end of their models; with inflation by 2006 it was the 155 (which cost 155,000 yen) etc. Construction and materials are higher end the more expensive you go.

Tokai UK can order what you want (including an ES175 which I believe is the new top-end model, but could be wrong), but you'll pay through the nose for it. I'd look for a good second hand guitar on eBay or in the classifieds section here.

You'll also pay alot for an older one of superior quality - like this 1981 first year issue ES100 J. This is only the second one that I've ever seen (J for jazz model - different pickups than the R rock model). I bought the first one and will never sell it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110270586651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

marcusnieman said:
You'll also pay alot for an older one of superior quality - like this 1981 first year issue ES100 J. This is only the second one that I've ever seen (J for jazz model - different pickups than the R rock model). I bought the first one and will never sell it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110270586651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

Wow ... very nice ... prices ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
... but the guitar is a gem... !!! :wink:
Roger

tudor said:
marcusnieman said:

Wow ... very nice ... prices ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
... but the guitar is a gem... !!! :wink:
Roger

Yeah the price will make you flinch but I would put this guitar up against any Gibson ES335 in terms of build quality and tone.

Also, for overseas buyers, the soft dollar offers a decent buying opportunity.

If you have that kind of cash I would definitly buy it, 'ell i I had that kind of cash i'd buy it. I play an epiphone version of this guitar, even right down to the tobacco sunburst finish, but an '81 jazz version tokai - Hell it's an es-335 players wet dream.

Couldn't resist:

CIMG0959-1.jpg

CIMG0961-1.jpg

CIMG0960-1.jpg

CIMG0953-1.jpg

CIMG0954-1.jpg

CIMG0955-1.jpg

If you insist, Mike!

Though Mike is most correct in insisting that gentlemen prefer blondes, the company of this delightful pair of redheads would be most rude to decline.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It's an utter stunner. I've only had her a week or so, and she's quickly become my weapon of choice when I reach into Guitar Corner (my wife's nomenclature, not mine!). Light bodied, with a deliciously woody tone; superb response when slathered in dirt too.

I think I should stop calling guitars "she" while talking about slathering them in dirt. It can't be healthy.

Well you know which one I prefer. :p

I'm not keen on the f-hole binding - isn't that an unusual feature on 335s?

Does the trapeze tailpiece make much difference to either tone or feel?

I've not measured the scale yet, but the trapeze tail certainly lends a slightly looser feel to the strings.

Yup, even most custom shop 335s come without f-hole binding.

AlanN said:
It's an utter stunner. I've only had her a week or so, and she's quickly become my weapon of choice when I reach into Guitar Corner (my wife's nomenclature, not mine!). Light bodied, with a deliciously woody tone; superb response when slathered in dirt too.

I think I should stop calling guitars "she" while talking about slathering them in dirt. It can't be healthy.

Nice....the girls like to get dirty. I call my Guitar Corner "Man Town". 8) My wife would rather me having my hands on them than on the girls at the strip club.

Back