LS160S ... some questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought an LS160S on eBay and now I have to wait a week or two until it will be delivered to me (Japan to Austria). It was a pretty spontaneous decision but I did not want to let it pass as you won't find them in every shop around the corner. I hope I won't regret it. I always wanted a '56 Reissue but the price was a bit too steep for me. Also the necks on these are a bit too chunky for my taste.

What can you tell me about the guitar I bought (LS160S/LS145S)?

How is the neck profile on these?

What can you tell me about the pickups? I searched the forum an everybody seems to ask in advance with which pickups they should be replaced but do they need to be replaced at all? Are they more on the fat side or rather thin and clear? My experience is that a good guitar sounds good with most any pickup.

thanks

Hello fellow new LS160S owner,

Congrats on your new guitar!

I bought an identical guitar from hishashi at eBay which I've had for a good week now. It is my first Les Paul type guitar. Even though I have owned and loved a Tokai ES-120 (now 135 I believe) for some years now, I consider myself a Fender man, my preferred axe being a Fender Jazzmaster - and a Jaguar. I also play a telecaster with Jazzmaster pickup in neck position and a Bass VI.

I have to say I am amazed by my new LS160S. It's simply a stunning guitar in every detail. The workmanship is amazing and the sound is HUGE. The output is much stronger than my Jazzmaster's and the sound is more mellow and dark. I find the neck pickup too dark and muddy sounding alone. The combined PU sound and the bridge PU sound alone is fantastic.

I believe to have read at this forum that the pickups in the LS160S is considered a step up from the P90s in the LS95S, but I too would really like to know who manufactures it and what the deal is about these. Are they alnico V or...? Are they overwound etc. etc?..I might consider changing the neck pickup to something "weaker" but I will definately give it a chance for some time. This is a new kind of guitar to me.

I don't find the neck overly chunky. I think it's a bit fatter than the neck of my Tokai ES120 and fatter than the Fenders but it's very easy to play and I don't have any issues with it. I like it.

I'll try to send some pics as soon as the guitar arrives.

Thanks for the response electrovac! I'm mainly a Gibson player so I'm curious what I will think about the pickups. I'm looking fo those big fat jump blues tones, that still have a single coil bite.

If Tokai Goldtop is good enough for Junior Watson, I guess it should be good enough for me anyday ...

Back