Identify Greco LPC?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/msg/733705716.html

Anyone know what model this is. It has no serial number and looks like an open O but has a long neck tendon. Is this Korean?

I'd say it is very likely Korean also. Long neck tenon yes, but not in the same league as a Fujigen made example. The headstock logo is always the dead giveaway for me, much more blocky looking. You can buy an MIJ Greco for that kind of money if you are patient.

Korean made long neck tendons too? That's what made me think that it might be a jap. What price do the Korean Greco's usually go for?

For one, what is the serial number ? and two, there were plenty of MIJ greco's that had that headstock inlay, actually Tokai made guitars for greco using that inlay. As well as the serial number, see if you can get a pic of the front pickup cavity, Tokai routes are easy to identify.

Mick

Send "japanstrat" a PM and see what he has to say, he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to these guitars. I'm not to sure about the no serial ones.

Mick

One problem is he gutted the electronics. If it had the unshielded wiring and had the cor. pots it would be easy to tell.

Yes that's a Cort Greco. It seems that the Cort made Grecos and Tokai made Grecos were made in the same years (late 80s when Fujigen made less lower priced Grecos) and used the same sort of inlay designs and had no serials so it's easy to mix up the Cort made Grecos with the Tokai made Grecos. The Cort made Grecos were limited to the cheaper models (I think 60,000 Yen and less) and the Tokai made Grecos were 75,000 Yen. There is a big difference in the Cort and Tokai tenons. The Tokai tenon is a medium tenon and the Cort tenon is usually a long tenon with no rounded corners and there are other things like the Cort Grecos have the Korean style brick shaped nut and often have Cor-Tek pots. Also the Tokai made Grecos have a Japanese look to them and the Cort made Grecos have more of a late 80s Korean look to them which is a bit rougher and not as elegant as the Japanese made guitars. The Cort Grecos seem to be made from African Mahogany just like the Japanese Grecos and there is just as much chance of a Cort made Greco sounding as good as a Tokai or Fujigen made lower priced Greco, especially with changed pickups.

The Korean guitars from the late 80s early 90s are often a bit rough compared to the Japanese guitars so their resale price is a bit lower.
What's been happening with the Cort made Grecos is that a lot of sellers have been knowingly and unknowingly passing them off as Japanese made Grecos and Japanese made Greco prices. Funnily enough the K Orvilles were the other way around with most sellers passing them off at Korean guitar prices before it was realized that they were really Japanese made.

Would they have really used ebony on the fretboard on korean models or is it just dark Rose wood?

The Grecos we are talking about are low priced Grecos that are made to make a profit at a low selling price. If guitar factories used more expensive wood on their low priced guitars then they would go out of business and ebony is a higher priced wood than regular rosewood.

Holy crap! That guy is out of his mind! I offered him 350-400 for it. He thinks he can get 500.00 for it. There was just a mint jap. on ebay for 550 or 600. Why would you pay that for a Korean?

Latest posts

Back