Greco, Burny or Orville

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny73

Reaction score
So, i want to get a Les paul custom and I dont have 2 grand!, Having owned tokais before, and having just played a friend peter frampton Greco, I think that this could be the way forward. There are a few on Ebay at the mo (it has to be black), but i was just wondering which of th e three (if any) offers the best guitar for my ?500 or so pounds!!!

All help much appreciated

Having all three I would find it hard to make a choice and this is not going to be much help
If I was going for an LP standard I guess Orville would top my list
If it was a Custom Orville or Burny
I just sold a Peter frampton Greco but you have experience of that anyway. I replaced it with a Burny Frehley well a 3 pick up standard I think thats quite a rare model and a early eighties Burny custom thats had a 3rd pickup added but it is great because it has the VH1 pups and the third pup is a dummy at the moment
Just to add confusion I love Grecos but think you need to get a higher range model that may take the price range up a bit more
Money wise I think the burny offers the best value

I beg to differ on the greco's. Most of the "Mint collection" greco's {especially the earlier ones} are great guitars, and the only difference most of the time is the pickups I know this is a little hard to read and these are all customs but they are all the same build specs, the only difference is the pickups and the tremolo's, otherwise all long tenon all 2 piece backs and all 2 piece tops and all these ones are Fujigen made. Hope this helps.
tmc_61.jpg

Mick

I would go for Greco or Burny from the early '80's. I agree with Mick, the Mint Collection guitars are very underrated, and normall cheaper compared to their Superreal counterparts, but I've never played a bad early '80's Burny, and they tend to all have Fret-edge binding which is a nice touch.

Orville by Gibsons are better than Orvilles, but can be a bit on the expensive side.

I assume you're in the UK, this looks a nice one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greco-Les-Paul-Custom-EG-600-Made-in-Japan-MIJ_W0QQitemZ330249018943QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330249018943&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That looks like a "Tokai" made one John..

What do you mean "60's fretboard" don't you mean neck..??.

The "68-50 and 68-80" are 60's models.
I wouldn't worry too much about the neck size as these guitars are extremely playable, i used to like thin fast necks, now i have a pile of reasonably fat necked LP's and i love them and also the thicker necks seem to transfer vibration better, adding to the overall sustain of the guitar.

Mick

yes I meant neck. ok, I will look into those. the fact is that I have been playing a strat with that huge neck and I want something a lot thinner. I tried a custom LP 60s and loved it.

what are they main differences between those 3 brands?

My greco and tokai's have very similar neck size {medium chunky} and my burny is a little thinner like 60's gibbo, i prefer the greco and tokai necks, but in saying that, i have only played the one burny. Some strats have huge necks...these LP's aren't that big.

Mick

that ebay one John, like so many looks like it has had a poorly done refret

they never replace the fret binding which to me is lazy workmanship!!

Spot on john, i was wondering in what picture Johhny was able to see that.
After the end of the super real series guitars there were not many models at all that had fret edge binding.

Mick

Back