Springy sound vs. goldstar sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

does anybody know if the springy sound strat & the goldstar sound strat were different models made during the same years{i.e. american standard strat vs. tex-mex strat},or if they were the exact same guitar that they just changed the name on? also were all ate teles & ast strats made in korea? any info appreciated

[Anonymously Posted by: 'evybaby']

The ATE and AST Teles and Strats were made in Korea. All Fender and Gibson copies that start with 'A' are Korean.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

just got an ate-52. thought it was korean, didnt know what to expect. turns out its a pretty darn good guitar! i was pleasantly surprized. a little tweaking here & there and it sounds & plays pretty good. dont know how old it is but it doesnt look very old. interesting guitars those tokais.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry NYC']

Actually I don't think all Tokai models starting with A are korean. In the 80's there were different versions, for example in Sweden TST strats were sold, they had the traditional Fender headstock, however models with the modified headstock were called AST. Another example is the custom strat SD653 with gold hardware (also the pickguard) and traditional headstock, there were also an ASD653 version with the modified headstock and both were made in japan. I have catalogs showing them both.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bill Kneeland']

I think of buying a AST62 and it says made in Japan
Also on long was the AST62 made??

[Anonymously Posted by: 'chrisd']

Just looking at the 2000 catalogue, and impressed by the ASTs - who cares about a slightly different headstock?!

Are the ASTs being imported into the UK? can I order them through my local music shop? Do I need to contact Tokai's UK distributor, etc.? Any suggestions?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Stephen McBride']

Stephen, on Tokai UK's website ( http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/ ).

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Michael']

To my knowledge the SpringySound was the very first Fender Strat Replica with the backwards spagetti 7okai script & "This is the exact replica of the good old Strat" under that , and a round string tree. The GoldstarSound had the Transition non-spagetti Tokai script like a post-'65 Fender and "The quality musical instruments of the world" under that , and a square tree. I bought a TST-50 GoldstarSound new in 1985 in the UK. The TST-40 ( cheaper fittings ) sold for as little as £159 and the TST-50 RRP £240. I've never seen a spagetti script Tokai in the flesh despite the UK being a major market , I would like to try one though. Any offers ?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'john matthews']

Latest posts

Back