Tokai tuners on Hard Punchers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsuspend

Reaction score
Hello All!

I've recently become the proud owner of a Hard Puncher from, what I would guess, about 84-85 (link to pics below). It seems to be all original apart from the pot knobs and the tuners, which have been changed to Fender 4-screw vintage style (but not reversed) ones.
The original 3-screw tuners found on these basses seem quite unique to me. Did any other Japanese brands of the period use the Tokai bass tuners?
If not this would be a surefire way to identify Tokai necks where the logo has been removed.

Link to pics: http://www.nysse.com/lagerbilder/tokai hpb.html

Thanks for any input!
/Magnus

Some of the higher end Tokai basses I've seen (PB-60 and up) seem to have 4-screw tuners. The regular model ones seem to have the 3 screw tuners. It's hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like these are probably not original as there is no screw holes where the 4th screws are missing. The clouding on the chrome of the tuners is typical of Tokai tuners, though. I wonder if these might have come from another Tokai? I can't remember if the bolt on the 4-screw Tokai tuners are normally brass as yours seem to be from the photo.

Also, do you have any closer up shots of the bridge? The saddles don't look like ones I've seen on other Tokai basses. Again, PB-60s and up seem to have brass saddles, lower models are chrome (some smooth, some ridged I think), but it's hard to tell if yours are the right shape. I'll see if I can get some photos up of mine to compare.

Japanese Tokai basses are highly underrated, and still a bargain compared to many other brands. I just got an amazing Jazz Sound (1980, JB-45-from original sticker--also has 3 screw tuners) that I showed to a client in my studio. He sniffed at it with that "it's not a Fender" kind of look, played it for 5 minutes, then wanted to buy it from me! (I didn't sell!!)

Enjoy your Hard Puncher!

Chris
________
Growing marijuana

Hi Chris! :D

I'm fairly certain this is a PB-40 and the holes from the original 3-screw tuners are still there underneath the "new" ones.
I'm not sure if the bolts are brass although they may be chromed brass, they've certainly aged differently from the rest of the tuner mechanism.
Here are two not-so-good pics of the bridge:
http://www.illwindrecords.com/images/tokai_hp_bridge_1.jpg
http://www.illwindrecords.com/images/tokai_hp_bridge_2.jpg

I've never seen a HP bridge from the same period up close so I can't really judge.
I'ts a nice, swinging, woody vintage bass. The neck is a little weak compared to a Fender PB but has a much nicer feel, tapered and with a more curved shape- not as flat as the modern Fender "C" necks. I like it a lot!
Now if only I could find myself a Ovation Magnum II... :p

Thanks!
Magnus

Tree screw tuners in my Hard Puncher are not so good as they should. The E key don't hold the tune. Other ones also makes problems. This part of tuner that is screw in, still screwes out. I must install some new ones.

Sorry for my english. I hope you know what I mean i that post :D

No :D

The signed part is screwed in. It moves and screwes out.
P73-1.jpg

I see :)
Well, you can always put a wanted ad in classifieds or ask a dealer like togps or guitarslinger on this forum or someone like chingo123 on ebay.
I'm afraid you can't have mine- I'm using them :D

I'll install some Gotoh or Shaller tuners. If I have more money, I'll buy Hipshot set with D-tuner 8)

Sorry for taking so long to take these photos Magnus:

PB-40 tuners:
P1010119.jpg

PB-40 bridge:

P1010118.jpg

PB-60 tuners (4 screws):

P1010110.jpg

and PB-60 bridge (brass saddles):

P1010116.jpg

I'm not sure all PB-40 bridge pieces are like the one above--I think I've also seen some with the ridged,grooved surfaces, but I can't be sure. A bunch of Tokai Jazz basses have that style for sure though. Hope this helps...
Chris
________
Cb250

Hi, thanks for thinking of me :)
I think the bridge may well be the original PB-40 model, it just looks a little odd because the saddle screws are corroded.
My tuners actually look very similar to the PB-60s but the bass originally had the 3-screw variety. It seems very likely to be a PB-40 with upgraded tuners.
It's playing very nicely! I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups to some hand wound Van Zandts I have lying around.
/Magnus

Don't know if this helps, but here are a couple pics of my old PB-40's tuners (3 screw config) and bridge.

100_4783.jpg

100_4758.jpg

Latest posts

Back