Bridge height/neck angle

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlivingstone

Reaction score
Hi All

Just out of curiousity ..

When I received my 2005 LS150 I noticed that the guitar seemed to 'wrap around' my body more than my LS65 as if the neck angle was greater.

Recently I've been setting them up using the very useful capo on the 7th fret method (with capo on the seventh fret adjust the bridge to achieve the lowest possible bridge setting and then with the capo off adjust the truss rod to achieve the desired action). Having done this and obtained a similar action on both Love Rocks, the bridge height on the '65 is quite low (4mm from the maple cap to the bottom of the height adjustment roller) compared to 6mm for the LS150. While 2mm doesn't sound much they look very different visually as the '65 has a low bridge height which allows the tailpiece to be screwed down and the '150's bridge and tailpiece look high - almost like an archtop.

This appears to confirm that the LS150 has a steeper neck angle. Has anyone else noticed such a difference in their Love Rocks and is this likely to be by design rather than manufacturing variability?

compensating the bridge accordingly to the neck angle on your les paul is key to getting not only great action but great tone too in my opinion... it's one of the key factors, I always adjust to the lowest I can without fretting or choking out notes and bends.

having said that, tokais in general, mine being an ls-145s have big neck angle, by big I mean 5?, at least the ones I've played all were similar regarding neck angle, I usually prefer shallower neck angle, but however if you set them up right, you'll have no problem...

Latest posts

Back