Just ordered an LS160S from togps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evamatze

Reaction score
Hi

I?ve just ordered an LS160S GT from togps and I can?t wait for it to arrive. I already own an LS85S GT which I bought 2.5 years ago from Ishibashi and I?m really looking forward to comparing those two guitars to each other.

I hope the LS160S is worth the extra amount of money compared to the LS85S GT, which is a wonderful guitar, by the way... :)

Now I?ll have to wait for 4 months until that baby arrives. Well, human babies take 9 months to arrive, and I?ve succeeded twice waiting for them, so I will succeed in waiting for that LS160S, too, which should be the last guitar for me in a long time.

Any happy LS160S owners out there????

Greetings from Switzerland

Rup,

The LS160S was the LS145S in the Catalogue. The S model has P90 pickups instead of the humbuckers.

evamatze,

I have seen the model :D

What can I say, except it will be worth the wait. That I can assure you. It is one of my favourite models, after playing it. I really like the P90 tone, and the build quality is outstanding.

Yes, the P-90 tone is the way to go. Better clean sound than a humbucker and more power than a Strat. Best of both worlds ;-)

I have been playing a Fender Stratocaster exclusively for more than 15 years. Then I saw a Marcia Ball DVD where Pat Boyack played a Gibson Historic 56 Goldtop and I knew that I had to get one of these. A Gibson was too expensive, so I searched for a good copy of it. I ended up buying the Tokai LS85S GT from Ishibashi, which is an absolutely outstanding guitar. Great tones!

I'm happy to hear that the LS160S will be even better (hard to imagine, because the LS85S is already wonderful).

Any other comments on the LS160S (formerly known als LS145S)?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10025&highlight=ls145s

Hi there,

Please see the above link to the full review I did for my LS145S now 160s...

I too have a vintage series LS95Q which I am delighted with and it's my 'go to' guitar for every day practice and jamming infront of the tv, etc

The premium series is a significant step-up from the already good quality and price/performance of the vintage series and worth the extra cash... you've got yourself a guitar for life there!

have fun,

John.

I'm looking forward to your review, evamatze. I have an LS85S, so it will be interesting to hear your views on how the two similar guitars compare.

After that, you will need a Tokai Strat of some kind....

8)

Mike

After that, you will need a Tokai Strat of some kind....

I hope not... :eek:
I already own a Fender US Strat, and I?m quite happy with it... :D

Cheers 8)

Matthias

Mike,

I can bet you would pick a LS-145 if you try it so be aware about it :D ,I can say LS-150 is better than LS-80,it?s "more guitar" so as far as we follow that and apply the rule to LS-145 GT....you know result :wink:
Tokai didiknow what they do when they released these LS-145 GT as always,they really know!

evamatze said:
I hope not... :eek:
I already own a Fender US Strat, and I?m quite happy with it... :D

Just the situation I was in when I joined the forum. I didn't believe the guys who told me I would find Tokais I like as much. Now, you'll often see me playing a Springy or a Goldstar. :p

luis, I'm sure you're right. It's just that I don't play my GT very much, I think I'm still learning how to get the best out of it. A LP is very different to what I've played most of my life. But it's fun learning :p

This Tokai thing is amazing,I?m caught in it,I love trying different Tokai models as much as I can.I have learnt a lot because it. I?m still hungry for trying more and more and it seems never stopping!

stratman323 said:
It's just that I don't play my GT very much...

Shame on you! :wink:

I have made the opposite experience. Ever since owning my LS85S GT I haven?t played my Strat a lot :( . I sounds so thin compared to the LS85S. I know, that?s the way a Strat is supposed to sound, but my preferences in sound have moved towards the P-90 sound. Now my Strat sits right next to my bed and I play a couple of notes before I go to sleep.

I?m really loving that P-90 tone, and unfortunately P-90s only shine in mahagony/set neck guitars YMMV, of course. So far I haven?t seen any Strat-like guitar with P-90s that I liked (there are not too many out there... :( ).

What is true is that if you are used to playing Strats (and so am I), the "handling" of a Les Paul is difficult. I still have difficulties using those two volume knobs :evil: . I?m sure you could rewire it to a single "master" volume pot, but have never done it. I?m not a very good solderer, you know... ;-)

Anyway, I?m quite sure that I won?t want a Tokai Strat... :D

Cheers

Matthias

evamatze said:
stratman323 said:
It's just that I don't play my GT very much...

I?m really loving that P-90 tone, and unfortunately P-90s only shine in mahagony/set neck guitars YMMV, of course. So far I haven?t seen any Strat-like guitar with P-90s that I liked (there are not too many out there... :( ).

Well, I wouldn't say that good sounding P90's are exclusive to set neck mahogany guitars. My Univox Mosrite copies (guitar AND bass) are neither set neck nor mahogany and these pickups will plain smoke any stock Tokai P90 pickup I've ever played - including my Goldtop and SG Special

CIMG0707.jpg

marcusnieman said:
My Univox Mosrite copies (guitar AND bass) are neither set neck nor mahogany and these pickups will plain smoke any stock Tokai P90 pickup I've ever played - including my Goldtop and SG Special

Ok, maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic about the P-90 Les Pauls. There may be some great non-set neck/non-mahogany guitars out there, BUT: Have you ever looked at your guitars???? ;-) Do you think they are good-looking? Sorry, I don?t want to offend you, but I don?t like the looks, even if the sound was great, I wouldn?t want to own one of these...

Sorry, but that?s just my opinion... ;-)

(didn?t want to sound rude, and please remember that my first language is German, not English, so I might not be able to formulate as politely as an Englishman could. Maybe that?s why English people think that Germans ARE rude, but in fact they are not. It?s just a lack of vocabulary, I think, and maybe a slightly different mentality)

Matthias

:D I can't say I'm too keen on the look of those Mosrite copies either. :D Still, as long as Marcus likes them. 8)

Interesting to hear the suggestion that P90s only work well in Gibson type guitars, I never thought about that. I've wondered for some time what a Tele would be like with a P90 in the neck position (and maybe middle too), and a standard Tele bridge and pickup. I love Tele bridge pickups, but I'm not so keen on the neck pickups, and I don't think a humbucker would work. I don't suppose anybody has tried a Tele with a neck P90?

evamatze said:
marcusnieman said:
My Univox Mosrite copies (guitar AND bass) are neither set neck nor mahogany and these pickups will plain smoke any stock Tokai P90 pickup I've ever played - including my Goldtop and SG Special

Ok, maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic about the P-90 Les Pauls. There may be some great non-set neck/non-mahogany guitars out there, BUT: Have you ever looked at your guitars???? ;-) Do you think they are good-looking? Sorry, I don?t want to offend you, but I don?t like the looks, even if the sound was great, I wouldn?t want to own one of these...

Sorry, but that?s just my opinion... ;-)

(didn?t want to sound rude, and please remember that my first language is German, not English, so I might not be able to formulate as politely as an Englishman could. Maybe that?s why English people think that Germans ARE rude, but in fact they are not. It?s just a lack of vocabulary, I think, and maybe a slightly different mentality)

Matthias

Machts nichts to me (I'm half German myself).

I've been a fan of surf music (Pipeline, Apache, Rumble, etc - not Beach Boys stuff) for quite some time. The Mosrite guitar has alot of history with those bands like the Ventures - maybe it's an American thing like that type of music.

The interesting story about them is that the body style was based upon a strat when viewed from the backside. I don't give a rat's *** what they look like - the sound they put out is amazing. The body thickness is about the same as that of an SG and the tone is all it's own.

And the basses are 3/4 scale - very easy for a guitar player to play. You ever heard P90's on a bass with gut strings? My little P90 bass sees alot of action from local musicians who rent her for gigs.

Have a look and see what real Mosrite guitars sell for in Japan. In fact, the current Mosrite Japan guitars are made by Tokai.

marcusnieman said:
Have a look and see what real Mosrite guitars sell for in Japan. In fact, the current Mosrite Japan guitars are made by Tokai.
Actually, they want me for distributorship... should I, Marcus ?

marcusnieman said:
I've been a fan of surf music (Pipeline, Apache, Rumble, etc - not Beach Boys stuff) for quite some time. The Mosrite guitar has alot of history with those bands like the Ventures - maybe it's an American thing like that type of music.

Another 60s surf instrumentals fan here.

I learned to play the guitar trying to imitate tunes by The Ventures, Chantays, Dick Dale, Marketts, Fireballs...

Mosrite produced a Ventures model, the Mark I and the Ventures gave up Jazzmasters and Stratos for the Mosrites.

However I think the quintessential of 60s surf tone was the Jazzmaster in Walk, don't run :D It is said that this guitar is useful to play this song and for nothing else :lol:

ganzua said:
marcusnieman said:

Another 60s surf instrumentals fan here.

I learned to play the guitar trying to imitate tunes by The Ventures, Chantays, Dick Dale, Marketts, Fireballs...

Mosrite produced a Ventures model, the Mark I and the Ventures gave up Jazzmasters and Stratos for the Mosrites.

However I think the quintessential of 60s surf tone was the Jazzmaster in Walk, don't run :D It is said that this guitar is useful to play this song and for nothing else :lol:

Ah...you do know your 60's history. LOL about the Jazzmaster.

Latest posts

Back