My Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkrichie

Reaction score
Just want to show you my Goldstar. I think it's a -85.. Can anyone confirm this? The pickups are VII, and it has a "50" sticker on the back of the neck. I think the colour is unusual? It's in abolute mint condition, not a scratch! Sounds fantastic and great to play! :D
IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

That's the nicest Goldstar I've seen for a long time! :p If you get fed up with it, I'll look after it for you.... :lol:

Probably an 84 or 85 ST50, from what you have said. Inside the body cavity, there will be a stamp, like this one:

119_1910c.jpg

This gives you the code for the colour, and other things too. In this case, it's MG - Metallic Green. Do you know what that stamp on yours says? A pic would be interesting to see.

The thing I don't understand is that it has the 50 sticker on the back of the neck. The ST50 was the standard model in the range, and most Goldies seem to be 50s. They came in a limited range of colours - the custom colour models (that's most of the metallics) were known as the ST55, and had a 55 sticker. Apart from ther colour, an ST55 was identical to an ST50. Yours looks like it's a custom colour, though I'm not sure which one. I don't understand why it isn't an ST55. :eek:

It's nothing to worry about, it's still a great guitar, but that puzzles me a bit.

Anyway, gorgeous guitar - look after it - or send it to London! :lol:

Mike

Ah, GM = Gold Metallic. Very nice, that's quite a rare colour. Similar to Fender's Aztec Gold:

112_1205.jpg

Having checked my 1985 Tokai catalogue, GM is shown as a colour for the ST55, not the ST50, so Tokai seem to have got that wrong. The ST55s were more expensive than the 50s, so whoever bought it new probably got a bargain!

How long have you had it? It seems to have led a very easy life. 8)

I've had it for 3 years. Bought it for 450eur incl. the original hardcase it came with. The seller sent it by bus and didn't know much about it. The strings were so old that I wouldn't be surprised if they were from the 80's too..

That's about ?360 - not cheap, but still a very fair price for something so nice. Is it a Tokai branded case? Everything about the guitar looks original to me, & I assume you plan to keep it that way?

My current favourite guitar is my Olympic White 84/85 Goldstar:

132_3245.jpg

Not in quite such good condition as yours, but original, apart from what looks like a replaced decal. I also have a Springy ST80, but there is little difference in quality between that and the Goldstar, despite the big difference in cost.

Enjoy! :D

Yes it stays original! I really like the pickups, and everything else works just fine. The case is not marked Tokai, I think it's from the Swedish company that imported Tokai in the 80's.

Thanks for your help!

My Goldstar is Blue Metallic and also only shows the "50" sticker. IOt is common in Euro models from what Ive seen, although I have also seen some Japan market guitars without the "55" or whatever "5" should bbe there.

A silver silverstar and a gold goldstar.......thats the way they should be.

Beautiful guitar.

Yo stratman....you really are biggin' up these Goldstars, I think you are soley responsible for the 45% increase in Fleabay prices since December.

Does look a much more elegant guitar in OW...very nice indeed. Knew I shouild have bought the last one on Fleabay but the seller was very candid about details as I think you noted.

WHat PUPs are in your goldie???? Mine have "

Back