Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

added this to the quiver today...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: added this to the quiver today... Reply with quote

I`ve never seen one like it and there was no paperwork in the case. Not in any of my catalogs and I`m starting to think it may be a one off custom order.
One piece mahogany body, satin finish neck and the gloss finish on the body is very thin, I can see the wood grain through it. Duncan Alnico Pro II p`ups, ebony fretboard.
Wiring is odd... heres what I think so far, and it`s only been a short time, in the front and rear positions the tone pots seem to do nothing, in the middle position, the neck VOLUME pot becomes the tone pot for both p`ups...I may need more time with it but as far as I can tell the tone pots are dummies.
Body back has a tummy contour and the pickguard must have been custom made for the guitar too as it covers more area than a regular Les Paul p`guard does and it`s clear plastic. Guitar is quite heavy and I think it doesn`t have a maple cap. Came with the strap locks seen in the pics and a hard case. So far seems to be a real beauty...selected it over two History Les Paul types they had...I may go back for one... but at more than twice the price I paid for this one.
Here are pics...

Last edited by sneakyjapan on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trouble posting.....
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just realised...it has no caps.

sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking through my catalogs last night I saw that dummy tone pots were on some models in the 90s. This particular model is not listed though.
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual neck joint - is that a glued neck? It looks more like a through neck without a heel.

Mike
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I can`t see any joint inside the neck p`up pocket so I`m thinking either it ends before the p`up cavity begins or it`s neck through. Tried to find some kind of indication of a neck through but can`t. Might have to get my wife to send the company a mail with the pics...may have better chances of a reply if the mail is in Japanese. Whatever the guitar is, it`s real nice...I`m liking it more and more. May check out the Duncan site to see if I can get a diagram to connect the tone pots...or not, it`s unique the way it is and I have other Les Paul types that do the regular LP thing so having a guitar thats slightly different is cool too. I`m pretty happy for the $600.oo it cost me.,,but those freakin Historys they had...can`t seem to stop thinking about em.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like a neck through, probably ends before the pickup cavity, contoured heal is for better upper fret access, i've seen these on a few different LP clones...

Mick
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m not sure what it is. I`ll see if the company can offer any insight. I too have seen that neck joint on other MIJs, History uses something like it that they call a heel less deep joint. The neck shape is different from any other Les Paul type I own, still thinking... custom made.
Think I`m going to sell a couple of mine and get one of the Historys they have...saw a real nice black Les Paul standard at the same shop for about $1000.oo...but the necks on the Historys was fatter, I like fat necks...and the workmanship was excellent, flawless.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so much for that idea...they have this on their site...guess it`ll just have to remain a mystery.

(No reply will be provided for used and old products information.)
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it play and sound ?? Thats all i'd be interested in, if its all good then its all good...

Mick
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
How does it play and sound ?? Thats all i'd be interested in, if its all good then its all good...

Mick

of course those are priorities for me as well but since I can`t I.D. the guitar from the data I have, I was wondering if anybody else had ever seen one like it. Evidently not.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sneaky, thought this pic may interest you, it is a gibson Neil Schon prototype with the contoured neck heal

Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: