Are Marshall amps any good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Our good friend Stratman323 is under the mis-guided impression that a Marshall is good for nothing except as something for people in leather trousers to use to prop up their flying V's. Lets prove him wrong!

Albert King played a Flying V (Lucy), but he was hardly a typical V player.

stratman323 said:
Albert King played a Flying V (Lucy), but he was hardly a typical V player.

You have just disproved your own (non)argument, you cant judge a piece of equipment because you like/dislike someone who uses it.

The old Marshall circuit designs are good, up to the JCM800. Their new amps leave a lot be desired.

If you want the proper Marshall tone, buy a clone ;)

twinfan said:
The old Marshall circuit designs are good, up to the JCM800. Their new amps leave a lot be desired.

If you want the proper Marshall tone, buy a clone ;)

That's exactly what I did, got a Ceriatone JTM45, however I disagree with the statement. The JCM900's and the TSL series were pretty bad IMO, but the new 'Vintage Modern' stuff sounds great!

I only use Marshalls and the best Marshall I have played is a early 80s Master Volume. Not sure of the model. If you play country or something like that then a Marshall might not be the way to go.

twinfan said:
JohnA said:
the new 'Vintage Modern' stuff sounds great!

I beg to differ ;)

Each to their own and all that!

What don't you like about them? I think they sound as close to a plexi as anything since a plexi, I had the 50W head before I got my Ceriatone. Definetely a huge improvement on the JCM2000 models.

Oh I agree they're the best new Marshall for a while, but I still think they're fizzy and lack depth of tone when compared to 'better' amps.

The best mass produced amps available today, in my opinion, are the Blackstar range.....

i do prefer old marshalls. I do lots of live shows as audio engineer. Once there was a band: two guitar players, 2 Gibsons and two Marshalls - JMP superlead and one new Anniverwary edition. That new one sounded like crap comparing to the old JMP. ;)

The old Marshall JTM45 was a copy of the Fender Bassman, the 18 Watt combo a copy of the WEM dominator, not that rocking at all , more bluesy.
I think Marshall push the "Rock image" a lot.
Alot of the Marshall rock sound comes from the closed back Celestion cabs, and not the amp.

MASTER VOLUME said:
Alot of the Marshall rock sound comes from the closed back Celestion cabs, and not the amp.

Same with the Ampeg Jet and Super Jet. Does alot for the sound. The old Magnatone "suitcase" amps were famous for their enclosed tone too.

Hi all, playing a Marshall through an open back cab definitely changes the way they sound but, with the JCM-800 series {late 70's early 80's} you can still hear that classic Marshall tone.

No decent Marshall's built after the first generation JCM800's. And if we're talkin' TONE proper, then everything post Plexi is about "how do we minimise costs and maximise profit?"

Not to sound too much like a "company *****"(just signed a Marshall Endorsement) but the Vintage modern 50 watt is a great amp although not so versatile...one channel/two gain stages....and Blue Tolex...gotta luv the bling 8)
2266feature1.jpg

The Kerry King signature 100watt is a great amp for people who like the 100watt JCM800 Master vol...it takes that design and cranks it.
2203kkfeature1.jpg

And the AVT Anniversary model is a really versatile amp....3 channels/onboard effects etc
avt150hxtfeature.jpg

Back