Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Fake/Bootleg Tokai's
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duba56
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Canadian Fake/Bootleg Tokai's Reply with quote

I see alot of comments on Tokai's coming from Canada being fakes/bootlegged. Can any give some insite on this, I have and had bought quite a few Korean Tokai's (5 )from Canadian dealers and would like to know if it is possible I was ripped off. And if I was how would I tell.
jyster
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See topic below. Should give you some information.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10228&highlight=fakai
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of things that give them away, the control cavity is slightly off centre, the headstock logo is different, the back of the headstock has written on it "made under license for Tokai etc etc, the necks were maple and so on.
If you can post some detailed pics i'm sure we will be able to identify them for you.

Mick
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakin` Canadians...it`s always the quiet ones eh.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
the necks were maple............

I thought the necks of all the Korean LS48s were maple?

Mike
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, yep all the korean tokai's have maple necks, from the als37s through to the als 58v some were even bolt on.. The difference being that the "fake" tokai's were mahogany bodies and maple necks, the real Korean tokai's were alder or plywood bodies, well in the catalogues i have anyway.

Mick
infinitemonkey
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite amusing that the "fakes" are of a much better quality than the real Korean Tokais.

Gee, if only my fake guitar were plywood instead of mahogany.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
the real Korean tokai's were alder or plywood bodies, well in the catalogues i have anyway.

Really? That's the first I've heard about ply being used. Every description of the Korean LRs I have seen states alder body, sycamore top, maple neck. Which catalogues say they were ply?
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, 2000 catalogue volume 21, i have it right here in front of me, the plywood models are....als 37 M, als 48 BB, als 48 M, als 56 V . I don't have a scanner but if i can get hold of one i'll post pics, i can absolutely guarentee they made plywood bodied guitars.

Mick
bobb
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
Hi Mike, yep all the korean tokai's have maple necks, from the als37s through to the als 58v some were even bolt on.. The difference being that the "fake" tokai's were mahogany bodies and maple necks, the real Korean tokai's were alder or plywood bodies, well in the catalogues i have anyway.

Mick

So I guess the only way I can redeem my soul is to take my fine mahogany "fake" Korean Tokai, turn it into kindling, then go out and buy a "legitimate" plywood model.

Nahhh, I don't think so.
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobb wrote:
leadguitar_323 wrote:

Mick

So I guess the only way I can redeem my soul is to take my fine mahogany "fake" Korean Tokai, turn it into kindling, then go out and buy a "legitimate" plywood model.

Nahhh, I don't think so.

Your feeble attempt at sarcasm is noted Bobb.
Nobody is blaming you for owning one of these knockoffs...we solely lay the blame at the feet of the former Canadian distributor...who was the one that commissioned companies other than Tokai to build the guitars.
As has been stated numerous times previously...we're sure that some of these guitars are well built and play/sound good....but the fact remains...although they have a Tokai script on the headstock they are NOT a Tokai
Your time would be better spent researching the origins(factory) of your particular guitar.
For example:
The Canadian fake Tokai 335 models were built by Dillion in their Korean plant and actually have a Dillion branded equivalent model...i.e. the serial number is prefixed with a "D" to denote Dillion.
Again YOU'RE not to blame for being suckered so the sarcasm is NOT welcomed and any future posts may be deleted.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, mate i don't think i said anywhere that they were crap guitars, to the contrary i have read a few reviews on the net about the "fake" Canadian tokai's and they are supposed to be quite good, so i'm not too sure what your point is...

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
Again YOU'RE not to blame for being suckered so the sarcasm is NOT welcomed and any future posts may be deleted.

Seems a bit harsh. It was this thread that revealed to many of us that some Korean LRs were made of ply - I had no idea about that before - so that seems like a worthwhile subject for discussion.

And if you're going to start deleting posts where somebody is a bit sarcastic, you're going to be kept very busy, as well as changing the tone of the forum.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't being sarcastic were you Mike..!!

Mick
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm offended at the very suggestion Mick!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: