Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which model Silver Star have I bought?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Which model Silver Star have I bought? Reply with quote

I don't usually pay much attention to Silver Stars, but I've been curious for a while about how they compare to Goldstars & Sprringys. So when I saw one on eBay last night about to sell for less than ?200, I had to have a bid - and I won it for ?210, which seems very cheap to me.

So what have I bought?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230240989603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

Pre 1982, from the decal, but which model? In the absence of the sticker on the back of the neck, how do I tell which model it is? I've looked at the catalogues in the Registry, but they don't help.

Any comments, guys?

Mike
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
from the tunerstyle its a SS36,but not sure.

Volker
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Volker. Is that the lowest model SS? Shouldn't the pickups be stamped?
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS36 is the lowest,but i can be wrong.Wait for Luis or Peter Mac,they know it for sure.

Volker
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I remember Luis saying that the 3 bolt neck actually worked properly on Silver Stars, because they were machined properly, unlike many 70s Fenders. That was one of the reasons that I decided to get this.

So I hope you're right, Luis!
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks liek a SS36, but I'm not very shure. I have one Silverstar 36, '79 and is fantastic guitar for this price range (has maple fretboard). I posted detailed info in this thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9982
Pickups also have no stamp.
Post some info when you'll compare it to yours Springy, I'm really curious
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah so am I! Though it's really the comparison with a Goldstar that is relevant - my two Springys each cost me nearly four times as much, whereas Goldstars sell for much nearer the price I paid for this one.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Tokai microtilt worked properly when adjusting I do know for a fact in both Silver Stars I own/owned.Let me know about yours.
Silver Stars are good working musician guitars and still at a good price for what such guitar you get. I also like neck grip and can achieve very good chording and funky sounds, besides being very bluesy.

In order to know which model your Silver Star is just check last fret for an engraved number, I can say clearly on my SS-36 1979 made.Altough sometimes it?s not so cler but if it is a 36 or 38...it?s the same guitar,just SS-38 are 1982 made and after.

I have to agree with you, I don?t like so much Tokai E stamped DiMarzio made pickups,I just tried them yestarday in a TST-80 and felt them brittle,yes very 80's sound but I prefer warmer ones as Antiquities that Navigator have......
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis wrote:
I have to agree with you, I don?t like so much Tokai E stamped DiMarzio made pickups,I just tried them yestarday in a TST-80 and felt them brittle,yes very 80's sound but I prefer warmer ones as Antiquities that Navigator have......

Yes, I think "brittle" is a good word to describe the Es.
fartoomany
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 79 ss36 with Maple neck, I paid a similar amount for mine, I think they are fantastic value and must be the vintage guitar bargain out there.

I don't have a Springy or Goldstar but I do have 2 Squire JV strats and I would say build quality is very similar. Pickups are a little thin sounding, but in a good way.

Mine plays really well, the previous owner had set it up nicely. Not sure how well the microtilt works as I haven't had to touch it. Put a set of 9's on it, tweaked the truss rod and I was away. Had mine for a while now and I have just realised that I probably play it more than most of my other guitars, actually I am going to play it now.........
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I've just put my white Goldstar down. It will be interesting.

I just had a thought - do all SSs have black scratchplates, pickup covers etc? I think white looks much better, but I guess it's the 70s vibe Tokai were going for?
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratman check this one out SS-38 H stamped pups

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320239451137
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Seems to be the same seller than mine originally came from.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred both SS-36s 1979 and 1981 made over a Fender Japan ST-55 E serial number(?84-87 made), better necks to me and "liver" guitars.....
Yes, Silver Stars are only Tokai bargains nowadays.....
bart
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, what kind of body material do they have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: