Value of 2005 Tokai LS-150?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentaplacenta

Reaction score
I might be doing a trade deal of a supposed 2005 tokai LS-150, what would you all say the market value of that Tokai is and are there any signs I should specifically look for that indicates it is indeed a 150 -vs- a lower model?

I've received a first batch of photos, it looks in very good condition and I've requested the following photos:

front and back of headstock
neck and bridge pickup cavities including a shot of the maple top on the mahogany body (to see if flame is a veneer)
bottom of both pickups
electronics cavity

Also inquired as to state of frets and if it has the original case.

I found the following photo posted in October of 2005 at http://guitars.co.uk/cgi-bin/bulletinboard_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/007019/p/1.html

untitled.jpg

Check this post :

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8992&highlight=150

Without disassembling the guitar things you can easily check are :

Nitro finish - it should smell like nitro;
Fat 50s neck;
lightweight ally tailpiece - tap it ! they feel lighter;
CTS pots - c/w stock Japanese units they feel stiffer with more resistance;
One piece body - check for joint lines at the edge of the body;
I think they were all or mostly made in 2005 - so a 05 serial no is good;
Check the control cavity for braided wiring and the sprague orange drops.

As for value - the new price if you can find them is around ?750 - used value depends on what it is worth to you.

Hope this helps.

Value was Yen 150,000.-- without tax in 2005. Take inflation and you'll end up at around Yen 168,00.--. Add cost of transport from Japan to Europe or US being roughly ? 100.--. Then add customs duties and VAT.

Easy.
Rupert

Thanks guys. I'm guessing the deal won't happen as I haven't heard back and he was very prompt in response/photos in previous emails.

Back