Goldstar ST60 with E-stamped Pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonS

Reaction score
Hello you experts,

I'm Dutch and just bought what seems to be a Goldstar Sound ST60. I' ve played a Goldstar once before and liked the feel of it. It felt more solid than my Fender Strat from 1986. Usually I play humbucker guitars only: Gibson LP or Yamaha SG3000 but single coil PU' s have that sparkle ......

But concerning this Tokai: the neck says Goldstar and it has the E-stamped pickups. I' ve seen several remarks at this forum that there are no Goldstars with E-PU' s. Could it be a Goldstar neck with a Springy body? Or just Goldstar with Springy hardware?

I have tried to add 5 pics. Hope you can open them.

Thanks, Ron

http://www.mediamax.com/rj_1958schnater155/Links/9C7383A6B7

Mate, that one sounds like a 1984 TST model to me.

Does the neck have a 60 sticker?

I have seen pics of another goldstar on here, with E pups, it was a red one.

Can you post some pics?

Mick

Interesting. Most Goldstars I have seen have been 50s or 55s. Maybe they were still using up Springy parts in 1984, as your looks like a fairly standard 84 Goldstar? So what's it like?

By the way, what is your 86 Fender? Is it US?

Mike

Oops, ok, the link works fine,

That is really one sweet goldie mate......

1984 TST60 for sure IMO

The goldie has the stamp info in the pot/control cavity (as yours does), and the springy has the stamps in the front pickup cavity.

Congrats 8)

Mick

Mickdal said:
The goldie has the stamp info in the pot/control cavity (as yours does), and the springy has the stamps in the front pickup cavity.

I have a block logo Springy with the stamp in the pot cavity, maybe your rule only applies to the spaghetti logo Springy.

stratman323 said:
Interesting. Most Goldstars I have seen have been 50s or 55s. Maybe they were still using up Springy parts in 1984, as your looks like a fairly standard 84 Goldstar? So what's it like?

By the way, what is your 86 Fender? Is it US?

Mike

I don't know yet, it's still on its way to my place. Probably arriving tomorrow!

Yes, the Fender is a black USA made one. I've changed original PU's to Seymour Duncan's vintage however, but still own the original ones. It's a nice guitar but needs adjusting; frets an so .....

Ron

RonS said:
Yes, the Fender is a black USA made one. I've changed original PU's to Seymour Duncan's vintage however, but still own the original ones. It's a nice guitar but needs adjusting; frets an so .....

Ron

So it's a 62 re-issue? Or a 57? I don't know if you know (I only found out a couple of years ago), but Fender only made a handful of US Strats in 86 - I have a Candy Apple Red 62RI, and it has the nicest, slimmest neck I've ever played, and a fat, warm sound. Look after it - 86s and earlier are selling for a lot of money now.

Mickdal said:
Oops, ok, the link works fine,

That is really one sweet goldie mate......

1984 TST60 for sure IMO

Congrats 8)

Mick

Thanks Mick.

Though the Goldstar is still travelling I know that there are two things need fixing: the saddles are a bit corroded and two machineheads are slightely bended. I've seen Kluson machineheads from Gotoh that will probably match.

Perhaps can somebody give some advise here?

Thanks, Ron

stratman323 said:
RonS said:

Ron

So it's a 62 re-issue? Or a 57? I don't know if you know (I only found out a couple of years ago), but Fender only made a handful of US Strats in 86 - I have a Candy Apple Red 62RI, and it has the nicest, slimmest neck I've ever played, and a fat, warm sound. Look after it - 86s and earlier are selling for a lot of money now.

Don't know what type it is. Some time ago I've tried to get more information about this guitar because the headstock only gives "Fender Stratocaster" and a serial number which starts with a F. "Made in USA" is ingraved at the lower part of the neck.

Sometimes I have wondered if this is a real Fender cause there is no information about serial numbers starting with F. I don't bother however cause I payed very little money for it 16 or 17 years ago.

Ron

andyscott said:
Mickdal said:

I have a block logo Springy with the stamp in the pot cavity, maybe your rule only applies to the spaghetti logo Springy.

Ok, that makes more sense......thanks mate.

Mick

I might be able to help with the Fender. If you want to post some pics, either here, or send me a private message, I'll see if I can help. I've done a bit of research on 80s Fenders recently, so I might be able to help you. For years I wondered if mine was genuine, but now I'm sure that it is.

With the Goldstar, I would advise you to leave the saddles alone, as long as they still do their job. If it's a 24 year old guitar, it should have signs of wear, and changing bits is likely to reduce it's value. Same with the tuners - it might be best to see if you can find a guitar tech to straighten them, if necessary.

RonS said:
But concerning this Tokai: the neck says Goldstar and it has the E-stamped pickups. I' ve seen several remarks at this forum that there are no Goldstars with E-PU' s. Could it be a Goldstar neck with a Springy body? Or just Goldstar with Springy hardware?

I have a 1984 Goldstar ST-80 with E pickups. There are definitely a few 1984 Goldstars with Es.

1984 TST60 in my books. Very rare beasts. Keep her.

Green or brown cap?

Cheers! Rup

Hi guys

It could also be an '83 Goldstar. From what i can tell, only UK/EU models had Block logos for both Springy and Goldstar in 1983.
Asia/Pacific had Script logo. US had there own style.

regards
Peter MAc

Back