i want to sell my 81 super real - is it a Brazilian board?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benrod

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP, i dont know if its a eg850 or a eg1000 ( i want to sell it on ebay with the right info)
photos of the borad here - http://public.box.net/bensusan92112 - I am not sure if its a eg850 or eg1000 . 2 pc center-seam back, 2 pc lamated flame top, pickups have a 5 or 6 dig # ( cant remember ) , but they do NOT say "z" on them. its a highly cherry burst flame top ! - i am thinking if its a Brazilian board, it may be a eg1000 ?

sorry ! IT DID HAVE FRET-EDGE BINDING, it has been re fretted a year ago.

Hey benrod, your fretboard to me looks Indian Rosewood...IMO....no figures, just grains.......which is still cool.

Your pups with the serial number, could be the Dimarzio ones, EGF850 have PU-2, EGF1000 Dimarzio, EGF1200 above have DRY Z....

Yours to me might be a 1981 EGF1000, it was 1980 that the EGF1000 had Braz fret board as standard. In 1981 it was only EGF1200 and above that had Braz

What is your guitars serial number?

Anymore pics? :p

Mick

Strange inlays. Very light coloured MOT. Excessive filling. Very round corners. Haven't seen this in Greco 1981.
The pictures are bad and I have not seen many 1981's so my opinion may be worthless or it may change with better pictures. :-?
The board could be anything. Nice quality either way. Looks like mine unidentified early Super Real 1982 board.

my guess

rosewood board 850

dimarzio have brass bottom and no numbers,

greco PU-2 have numbers ..

also there is no definative time for change over from Braz...

sometime in 81 when the braz started getting scarce, they stopped it on the 850's and 1000's ...but noone knows when...

or to the best of my knowledge no-one knows...

villager said:
dimarzio have brass bottom and no numbers,

So, are these wrong for the 1980 EGF-1000, or are they unstamped (no numbers) in 1981?
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10197&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also, what's up with one cover being soldered & the other not?

sorry i meant to say they are brass bottom with Dimarzio on them...

they sometimes have the number stamped...

but sometimes not...

I am pretty sure the stamp is a fuji -gen addition ...sometimes...I have seen original Dimarzio's in EGF-1000's with and without that kind of stamp..

The stamp on the Greco pickups is also on old Matsumoku made (Matsumoku on the neck plate) bolt on neck Greco SG pickups so I don't think it's a FujiGen stamp. They are Maxon pickups so Maxon seems to be stamping them. Around 1981/1982 the stamping seems to just stop and also around this time the Grecos start having different pickups like the Dry 82 and Screamin etc. So maybe the stamping stopped because Maxon stopped making the older Dry U-2000 etc pickups and the newer pickups Dry 82 Screamin etc were made by another company, maybe Gotoh but there are others.

Latest posts

Back