Dry Z vs. Dry 1982... what's the difference?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duosonic

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone can tell us whether there are any structural or tonal differences between a Dry Z pickup and Dry 1982?

Okay, let's throw this into the discussion:

http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/images/large/Greco%2059-100.jpg

I'd be willing to bet there is no difference. Especially looking at that pic. Like the screamin 82's don't sound any different to the others I've heard that had no markings or ones marked with a 5 for the first digit. I've had a few marked with a 5 serial number but, couldn't find any info on those.

No one knows exactly what happened with the Greco pickups around 1981/1982.
Around 1981/1982 the Greco pickups change to different types like no more U-1000 pickups and new Screamin etc pickups start appearing. Fujigen started making their own pickups in 1981 http://www.daeschler.com/articles/fujigen/ so maybe the Greco pickups change from being made by Maxon with stamps to being made by FujiGen with no stamps around 1981/1982. The Dry 82 pickups in the above link just seem to be Maxon Dry pickups with a 1982 Maxon stamp but there are other Dry 1982 pickups with no stamp. So some early Dry 82 pickups are probably from Maxon but after 1982 the Dry 82 pickups might not be from Maxon especially the ones that don't have the usual 6 digit pickup serial stamps where the second digit is the year.

Thanks japanstrat. Care to comment of the sound of the two pickups? Any notable difference?

Wish I could. I have Duncans and DiMarzios in my guitars. The Greco I've got came with low end U-1000 pickups. Villager would be someone who has Dry Z and Dry 82 pickups to compare.

Dry Z in an EGF-1200 or 1800 is a match made in heaven...

2 of my main playing LP's are the above...

I also have guitars with DRY 1982 in which are very nice, but not my immediate choice to play, but then I am spoilt for choice...

who knows if the difference i hear is the PU's or the guitar...

and I am not interested enough to get the soldering iron out,...heh..

they are both very nice PU..

Can't help with the 1982 comparison, but...

Yes, complicated business, comparing pups....had DRY Zs in my recently departed SA-1200 (335), and though excellent, I slightly prefer the less regarded/reported U-4000s in my '78 SA-900 (335) - more of a snarling 'rock' tone. May be the axe as Mark F says. Mind you, I have an EGF1200 (again via Mark) on the way and am more than happy to accept that will prove the match made in heaven!

I'll report in a few days time (come on Parcelforce!).

Then again, it could also all be in the fingers....ears....etc

Ah yes, the mojo thing...the SA-900 has that in spades...
Greco%20SA-900.JPG

...sorry, going a bit off topic now...

Latest posts

Back