About to purchase new Tokai LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DP

Reaction score
At first I was looking at buying either an LS48 or LC53 or maybe an ALS48, as I am on a limited budget. However, after reading reviews, I am going to try to get together the extra dosh for a Japanese model, and was looking at the LS75 models. Would I be much better off getting an 80 or 85 model? Is there a lot of difference between these models?
Would be greatful for any advice,
DP

There is a lot of confusion around numbers - they keep changing - so I'll base this on the current numbers (I also remember asking a very similar question about 3 years ago, before I got my Tokai !!)

On the current number system, the lower end MIJ Models are numbered LS80, 85F and 90Q (I think the Tokai UK site still calls them 65,70F & 75Q).

They're basically the same guitar - the 80 is a plain top while the 85F has a flamed sycamore vaneer over the top and the 90Q a quited maple veneer. It's real wood so itis real flaming and quilting (Albeit thin).

vaneer is totally tone neutral and simply changes the cosmetic appearance of the guitar. All three are great guitars and the choice really falls to personal preference.

If you have the option of going MIJ over MIK then do it - even if it means waiting a bit longer as you'll get a much better guitar, that'll play better and hold value better.

Other than the cosmetics it's 2 piece mahogany body, maple cap, gotoh pickups, mahogany neck, nickel plated hardware (if I've got any of that wrong, someone please correct !)

There's a slight additonal "nuance" - the LS75 is cheapest Japanese model which has a solid block colour. The LS80 is essentially identical but with a see through finish, normally in sunburst or wine red. The plain maple cap is visible beneath.

Then onwards and upwards through flame vaneer or quilted as already mentioned.

The guitars are all a variation on a theme and in the most part cosmetics will play a large part in the decision factor.....

The Soapbar pick up models are a slight oddity in terms of model numbering. They are currently called LS85S - they are essentially the LS75 with P90s fitted...would be better called LS75S (as block finish). They normally come in black or gold top.

So many many many many people phone asking for help through the model numbering it's an issue which needs to be sorted for the new stuff.

guitarslinger said:
So many many many many people phone asking for help through the model numbering it's an issue which needs to be sorted for the new stuff.

I have the soloution :

Cheap Tokai
Medium Price Tokai
Expensive Tokai
Only Germans can afford Tokai :lol:

Or as a true Sheffielder would say....(gruff northern accent) :lol: :eek:

"Ahh - New Tokai range gus like 'dis tha' noose....
"Orr-Reeet"
"Sound"
"Fu** Me! I could go to teneriffe for-fortneet for that"

I paint a poor picture....i AM joking...i think

guitarslinger said:
Or as a true Sheffielder would say....(gruff northern accent) :lol: :eek:

"Ahh - New Tokai range gus like 'dis tha' noose....
"Orr-Reeet"
"Sound"
"Fu** Me! I could go to teneriffe for-fortneet for that"

I paint a poor picture....i AM joking...i think

The wife laughed and she is from Doncaster :lol:

Where have all the germans gone?
Long time passing...

I own a few new (made after 2005) Tokais.
2 ES130s VNT
1 SG155
1 LS125SEB
1 LS130 JB
1 LS380 VF

All of them are better then any US made guitar I have/had.

However, not a single one of them comes close to a 1978 LS80 soundwise. They are just like historics. Precise, perfect.

Rup

rgrafend said:
Where have all the germans gone?
Long time passing...

You shouldn't reckon without the 'real Germans' ...

Austrians are something different - everlasting beefing and being bitchy ... living in a split personality since their monarchy had failed and Falco additionally had set his final shot ... no real industry except the tourism : therefore they prefer German cars ... as well as Tokais ...
They seem to have enough funds ( as they're paying nearly no taxes and enjoy being subsidized by the EU ) to buy all stuff they're getting aware of ...

Sorry Rupert ... The truth had to be said ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

of course you are right: I am driving Beamers since some 20 years. But you have to sell them anyway, so it's better to give them a good home. :lol:

Back