Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honeyburst Super Real. Only EGF 1200?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWOBHM
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNS wrote:
NWOBHM wrote:
My 81' super power has a curved belly, but my later 84' mint collections have a flat belly like 50's Les Pauls have. My 54' Les Paul is like that.

Oh, I thought the curved belly was an heritage from the guitars with p-90's.
And that it went on some time into the humbucker era.

I know there is a Greco Super Real catalog scan in japanese somewhere with pictures that makes it clear that they are proud of having the round belly and not like the other makers a flat belly.
I see no reason for that if it wasn't correct 50's style?
Here it is:
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~shake/greco/catalogue/mintcollection/9.jpg
Are all Super Reals like that? All the 50's Les Pauls I've seen have a less curved belly between the pick-ups. The top curve on my mint collection is closer to my 54' Les Paul.
DNS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
i just had a thought...

if the solder joint on the DRY-1982 is unmolested, then it must be either a 59-100 or a 58-120...

The bridge volume pot is changed (Ibanez Super 58 )

The neck volume pot is original ( Dry 1982 ) but has been tampered with. So nothing on that.

What makes me think that the Dry is original though is that it is in the neck position. The usual change is the neck position only. Especially when the DRY is louder output even though they actually measures the exact same DC resistance (7,23Kohm).
But that is if there were two DRY's original, so..

Well;

All the interchangable parts of a EG58-120.
A 1cm strip ( yes 10mm) on the lower bout makes the back a three piece.
DRY with molested soldering.
Rather plain flames doesn't point in any direction. (seen plainer 1200's though)
A really fat neck. 1958 size no doubt.
Traces of fret edge binding. (cracks in the laquer from trying to save the binding during refret) Opinion by proffessional luthier.
A Super neck makes Mint model line hard to investigate.
If it is top model it has lost its original (15 000yen) case. (why?..)

So if the DRY is original I would call it EG58-120. Maybe EG59-100.
If its not it it may be a EG59-85 with an old oversize Super neck with fret edge binding.
I think I settle for EG58-120 till someone produces a fat neck like this on a EG59-100 model or proof for the three piece back with oversize old Super neck makes it a EG59-85.

It's a keeper so if the model number is wrong the problem is only mine anyway. I'm just picking the most plausable for now. Any protests?
DNS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWOBHM wrote:
DNS wrote:
NWOBHM wrote:
My 81' super power has a curved belly, but my later 84' mint collections have a flat belly like 50's Les Pauls have. My 54' Les Paul is like that.

Oh, I thought the curved belly was an heritage from the guitars with p-90's.
And that it went on some time into the humbucker era.

I know there is a Greco Super Real catalog scan in japanese somewhere with pictures that makes it clear that they are proud of having the round belly and not like the other makers a flat belly.
I see no reason for that if it wasn't correct 50's style?
Here it is:
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~shake/greco/catalogue/mintcollection/9.jpg
Are all Super Reals like that? All the 50's Les Pauls I've seen have a less curved belly between the pick-ups. The top curve on my mint collection is closer to my 54' Les Paul.

Villager, who has seen some, says in an earlier post that it differs among any year and model. Maybe not right when the catalog was printed.
I have not seen any 50's G*bson so i cant conclude.
I'm pretty sure I've read about the P-90 ->curve connection, and that sometime, dont know when, it went flatter to save the pickup rings from cracking.
But I dont remember where so its worth nothing for now..
DNS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
where does it say it was not installed on the 1000 and 850 originally?

I only see the 1200 and 120 mentioned, and as that is a comparison article, it doesnt mean that the 1000 and 850 did not originally have an alu tailpiece...

and its quite possible that the tailpieces on one or both of the guitars he is talking about may have been swopped...

you just dont know....unless you read it in a catalogue under ''specifications''....

I have owned literally a hundred various EGF's and I would still not state as a fact that any of them came as standard in any year with aluminium tailpieces.....because although I have seen many many tailpieces, I have never actually read from an official greco source which tailpiece was standard on which model..

from that article it seems likely that the EGF-1200 and the EG58-120 did have a factory light tailpiece, ..but it does not in any way actaully prove it...

it throws no light on the 1000 and 850 models ...either alu or non alu......

I'm still not att all talking about the 1000 and 850 models.
And yes the guy might be wrong.
And then again he might still be right..so..
I don't read japanese, and i don't have any specs in any other language to read at all..that's why I'm placing my questions here so far. And I am aware that the catalogs not allways is correct either. But until I learn that a EG58-120 of 1982 year model left the shop without the alu tail piece and a bronze bridge for sure I might as well belive it didn't. Iv'e seen three equipped like this (alu tail) so far and none other.

The lower model ones you have seen with alu tail piece, have they all had the brass bridge as well or only the alu tail piece?
Is the brass bridge also a common feature on every range of model in any year?

Last edited by DNS on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote DNS..

So if the DRY is original I would call it EG58-120. Maybe EG59-100.
If its not it it may be a EG59-85 with an old oversize Super neck with fret edge binding.
I think I settle for EG58-120 till someone produces a fat neck like this on a EG59-100 model or proof for the three piece back with oversize old Super neck makes it a EG59-85.

yes thats what i would conclude most likely....58-120...

Last edited by villager on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m8 think you need to carefully re-read my posts....

you are missing what I am saying here......
DNS
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
m8 think you need to carefully re-read my posts....

you are missing what I am saying here......

Oh!
Will do.
Done!
Sorry I think missed it again...
...or do you mean:

villager wrote:

I have owned literally a hundred various EGF's and I would still not state as a fact that any of them came as standard in any year with aluminium tailpieces.....because although I have seen many many tailpieces, I have never actually read from an official greco source which tailpiece was standard on which model..

Well, it tells me that even if all the 1982 year models you've seen had the alu tail piece, you would'nt beleive it was original till you read it in the spec.
I choose to have an other approach as stated previously.

One thing is for sure, the hype will eventually lead to more research and some thruths vill be revealed. But it's funnier when you cant be too sure.

I will now leave it to time to surely decide what model I have.
It could for example be the last EGF1200, the only with DRY1982.... don't know yet!
Thanx Villager and others very much for your answers.
I'll be back with some pictures of my other Dyna Gakki's, namley a Daion TSB450 and a JooDee CSB800 in the "other" section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: