Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai TJ65E (Gibson J-160E copy) hum problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beatcomber
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tokai TJ65E (Gibson J-160E copy) hum problem Reply with quote

Hi - I am a new Tokai owner, and just acquired a TJ65E on eBay. (The TJ65E is a copy of a Gibson J-160E - a dreadnaught with a P90-style PU mounted on the top.)

Unfortunately, the guitar has a pretty bad hum when amplified. I brought it to a tech who was unable to fix the problem. (There is nothing metal touching the strings, such as a metal tailpiece, to ground the strings.) His recommendation was to drill a hole in the bridge and run a wire up to the top and along the strings. That's too intrusive, so I'm looking for other solutions.

Has anyone else had this problem with TJ65Es or similar acoustic/electrics?

I've sent an email directly to Tokai asking for a replacement PU, but I'm not expecting a positive response. We'll see...

Thanks for any and all help you can offer.
beerslinger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same guitar with the same hum.It also developed a crack between the p/u and the sound hole. Other than that the guitar is great. Sounds great acoustically and plays like a dream.
beatcomber
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the damage to your guitar. So, you have the same hum problem? Since I just bought it new (from a dealer off eBay), Tokai is sending me a replacement PU, to see if that'll fix the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: