• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEED ADVICE REGARDING LOVE ROCK PURCHASE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc32665

Reaction score
I want to buy a Love Rock (my first LP style instrument) and need help to understand which models I should consider-- I am looking for a player-- NOT a decoration....

This is my wish list in order of priority:
1. FAT CHUNKY neck (a la '57 or '58)
2. Long Neck Tenon
3. Big round frets (the bigger the better)

I'd consider vintage, recent, or brand new- hell-- I'd even buy a new one and ship it here. I have too many questions to list here, and my guess is that becasue the model "names" are roughly tied to the new selling price in yen-- well "spec" must have changed considerably-- like an '85 LS80 is likely a much better instrument than an '03 LS80-- Is that correct???

I found an '03 LS-80 and the seller claims the guy he bought it from "told" him it has the long tenon, but after I tracked down the original seller in Japan who suggested I consider a new LS120, claiming that is currently the least expensive model w/ the long tenon.

But the MOST IMPORTANT thing to me is big FAT neck.

ADVICE & SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Most of them have the 59 style neck. The fattest i've heard of is on my own ls200, which is probably 58 spec.

Your speculation about old ls80's etc being higher spec than modern is correct - notice I say higher spec and not 'better', as in 'old tokais are better than new ones' (just to be completely clear on that point).

A note on tenons - most of the tokais (with the exception of the LS320) have an 'intermediate' length tenon that reaches to the end of the neck but not into the pickup cavity. I can't see that extra lip having any tonal benefit. Remember, it's the QUALITY of the neck joint that matters, not the length of the tenon, and with that in mind any MIJ tokai will have the benefits of a long neck joint even if it isn't totally historically accurate.

My 1984 TLS-50 goldtop is a '58 replica and has a fat neck. You can see the specs for 1984 here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_6.jpg
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_7a.jpg

Mike

hmmm--- Good Point about the neck joint overall quality being the major factor rather than tenon length.... however I thought the longer tenons may be an accurate indicator of an increase in overall quality of the instrument...

Look for the Edwards/Navigator .. They got all that you are looking for... long neck tenon, big FAT neck (the biggest for a Japanese LP), plus it got SD 59 and JB PU..

My Burny has a lot of what your looking for. It has a chunky neck 50's style and a long neck tenon. It also has a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3764384140

email

[email protected] with any questions.

Latest posts

Back