Rat Valve Amps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave - I didn't see your post until after I posted this. Have you tried one? I wrote the guy and he does make them for the US market.

"For the money and for home use this guys modded amps are very good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-EPIPHONE-VALVE-JR-TUBE-COMBO-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350206251304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item5189eb5128&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Dave"

Hi,

Yes, I've got a RAT modified Blackheart BH5 Head which I use with a home built Vintage 30 Cab. He has added a few more extras now but it's very similar to the blackhearts he currently lists on ebay. The main mod's mine has are switchable diode or valve rectifier, power scaling plus master volume, swtichable EL84 or 6VTGT output valves, and a gain boost footswitch, line out and switchable speaker impedance.

For home use I think it's really great. There are a few other forum members thathave them a well. He's now added PS1 plus PS2 options and an effects loop, plus swithable gain, an improved output transformer, so I'm sure some of the current ones are even better than mine. I've never thought about selling mine but I have thought about sending to Andy to get some of the newer mod's installed. He's a very helpful guy and if you contact hime I'm sure he will fit whichever options you want.

At very high volume mine has slightly limited clean headroom but for home use you can go from nice and clean all the way to AC/DC with no effects just pure valve crunch or overdrive.

Dave

i bought a little giant 5w all tube on a whim to try one, I think its a great little amp.. but I will be selling it soon as I now have too many amps, and the ceriatone and the cornford cover pretty much everything I need now..

i think they are pretty good, i haven't sold mine yet I still use it for a little amp to take to Jams, really easy and with a pedal I get all the tone needed for a jam session..

cool amps...

Cool, i really wanted a vintage amp this time round, but so tempted by one of these, I might just have to do it.

DaveWW said:
Hi,

...... The main mod's mine has are switchable diode or valve rectifier, power scaling plus master volume, swtichable EL84 or 6VTGT output valves,

Dave

Dave have you tried 6V6's yet? My next project is an 18W with 6V6's as I've heared they sound quite a lot like the KT66's as used in my JTM-45, if you haven't I have some NOS russian 6V6's ready for my next amp I'd love to pop over and have a listen!!

John, no haven't tried 6V6's yet. Trying some sounds good to me - just let me know when - most times should be OK but off to see BB King and John Mayall on Wed night :D

Dave

Dave's amp, it transpires can take any octal power tube, had a 6L6 in there, which sounded pretty **** good!

I nearly bought one of these last year, but bought a Vibrochamp instead (which has now been replaced by my Minimat). He seems a cool guy, Although Does This With His Capital Letters On His Ebay Listings. He was selling a DRRI that he'd worked his magic upon that was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back