Whats' so special about this Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldflame

Reaction score
:-?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3714258510&category=2384

Is this really commisioned by Tokai Japan?

Who is the guy doing the ageing?

This is just the LR Relic done for the uk market - Ned has the details on the registry pages.

They cost about ?1000 brand new so you'd have to be a bit dull to buy at this price.

GB

Who's seen one of these up close? It would seem that you would screw up the top laminate doing the aging. Like peeling it off.

Looks like they've done the quickie ageing job of rubbing brown shoe polish on the cream parts then wiping it off. Maybe a little too extreme, but I do like relic-ed instuments.
For what it's worth, doesn't the bevelled edge pickguard signify MIK?

I've wondered about that each and every time that this one's been up on eBay.

I thought they sold the relic'ed Love Rocks at about the same price as the standard one's (about ?800 for an MIJ), and I wouldn't mind if they'd been unavailable for a while, but I last saw one advertised in "Guitarist" about 3 months ago. I'm sure someone on this 'board has got one too.

This bloke is obviously playing on the good name that Tokai's have in the UK guitar press and trying to make some money from his "investment".

I've even seen one's advertised as MIJ models, but with a 3 screw truss rod cover!

That looks like a MIK. Check out the bridge screws. They're the larger head screws used on the MIK's.

peacock72 said:
That looks like a MIK. Check out the bridge screws. They're the larger head screws used on the MIK's.

Nah, all the relics are MIJ LS75F's. They just changed the hardware - the one I saw had the bridge/TP set very low down but still with correct clearance etc. so maybe the hardware is designed to get that low rider look.

The seller is on crack though. Only a BIN price and it keeps going up with each relist. "Hmm, maybe if I jack the price people will think it's collectable and be more interested?" :lol:

I still think it's a reliced MIK. Those adjustment screws on the bridge aren't right. The posts are the larger/thicker posts used on MIK's. I used to have a MIK 2001 LE and now own a LS-200 and there's a definite difference between the bridge posts.

peacock72 said:
I still think it's a reliced MIK. Those adjustment screws on the bridge aren't right. The posts are the larger/thicker posts used on MIK's. I used to have a MIK 2001 LE and now own a LS-200 and there's a definite difference between the bridge posts.

I think it's perfectly possible they changed the bridge when they did the relic'ing. The relic range were all MIJ and the hardware & electronics were definately different than normal - for instance they had single screw single ply truss rod covers, wilkinson pickups and the selector switch was different - a bit taller with the mechanism closer to the surface. They could easily have changed the bridge posts too.

Relic'ing a MIK would make no sense - it'd cost more than the guitar.

One of those UK Relics is here in Spain,a guy from Madrid bought it.I'll check that guitar one of these days.He reported me that is a very good guitar and he is a very good and knowledge player.Who did the relic job?

Back