Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats' so special about this Love Rock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Whats' so special about this Love Rock? Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3714258510&category=2384

Is this really commisioned by Tokai Japan?

Who is the guy doing the ageing?
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk about a sales pitch. Some folks will say anythig to sell a guitar.
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the LR Relic done for the uk market - Ned has the details on the registry pages.

They cost about ?1000 brand new so you'd have to be a bit dull to buy at this price.

GB
tubedogsmith
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's seen one of these up close? It would seem that you would screw up the top laminate doing the aging. Like peeling it off.
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've done the quickie ageing job of rubbing brown shoe polish on the cream parts then wiping it off. Maybe a little too extreme, but I do like relic-ed instuments.
For what it's worth, doesn't the bevelled edge pickguard signify MIK?
Skybone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about that each and every time that this one's been up on eBay.

I thought they sold the relic'ed Love Rocks at about the same price as the standard one's (about ?800 for an MIJ), and I wouldn't mind if they'd been unavailable for a while, but I last saw one advertised in "Guitarist" about 3 months ago. I'm sure someone on this 'board has got one too.

This bloke is obviously playing on the good name that Tokai's have in the UK guitar press and trying to make some money from his "investment".

I've even seen one's advertised as MIJ models, but with a 3 screw truss rod cover!
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a MIK. Check out the bridge screws. They're the larger head screws used on the MIK's.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peacock72 wrote:
That looks like a MIK. Check out the bridge screws. They're the larger head screws used on the MIK's.

Nah, all the relics are MIJ LS75F's. They just changed the hardware - the one I saw had the bridge/TP set very low down but still with correct clearance etc. so maybe the hardware is designed to get that low rider look.

The seller is on crack though. Only a BIN price and it keeps going up with each relist. "Hmm, maybe if I jack the price people will think it's collectable and be more interested?"
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's a reliced MIK. Those adjustment screws on the bridge aren't right. The posts are the larger/thicker posts used on MIK's. I used to have a MIK 2001 LE and now own a LS-200 and there's a definite difference between the bridge posts.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peacock72 wrote:
I still think it's a reliced MIK. Those adjustment screws on the bridge aren't right. The posts are the larger/thicker posts used on MIK's. I used to have a MIK 2001 LE and now own a LS-200 and there's a definite difference between the bridge posts.

I think it's perfectly possible they changed the bridge when they did the relic'ing. The relic range were all MIJ and the hardware & electronics were definately different than normal - for instance they had single screw single ply truss rod covers, wilkinson pickups and the selector switch was different - a bit taller with the mechanism closer to the surface. They could easily have changed the bridge posts too.

Relic'ing a MIK would make no sense - it'd cost more than the guitar.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those UK Relics is here in Spain,a guy from Madrid bought it.I'll check that guitar one of these days.He reported me that is a very good guitar and he is a very good and knowledge player.Who did the relic job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: