My Setup

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Though I would kick this off by describing my recording setup:

Duron 600/OC'd to 700
256mb ram
20gig recording drive
MAudio Delta 66
SBLive
Cakewalk PA9 for recording and sequencing

SPDIF out on the SBLive runs into the SPDIF in on the Delta66. POD runs directly into Delta66.

Outboard gear consists of a POD2.0, Midiman Audio Buddy mic pre, Midiman multimixer, Ensoniq SQR synth

Guitar wise - MP1 and a ton of Rockman gear.
US Strat, Talbo, Kramer (POS) Focus 1000

I plan on adding a keyboard controller and a Roland D-110 along with a couple of guitars of course.

Nice thread ned!

My setup:

Athlon 700
256MB
20Gig HDD
MAudio Delta 44
SBLive 1024 (OEM)
Cubase V5

No sync between Delta 44 and SBLive, the ASIO drivers for the Delta give 28ms Latency, which aint too bad, but still too much!

Outboard consists of a Boss ME30 and an Alesis SR16 Drum Machine.

Guitar wise - Tokai Love Rock Custom, Gibson LP Studio, Applause AE128 electro acoustic, and a Music Man StingRay.

I fancy an amp modeller, but dont know which one to go for as I want one which not only has guitar amp models, but bass amp models too, and the only option is now the outdated Johnson J Station. Anyone got any experience of this? Anyone have any other recommendations?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skybone on 2002-01-02 14:08 ]</font>

Skybone - your latency shouldn't be more than 12ms and the Delta is happy at 4ms. If you decide to update your drivers be VERY thorough in deleting stuff like "Delta.inf" BEFORE re-installing as the uninstall routine doesn't work.

Thanks nakamichi, however, on the numerous times I've tried to improve the latency, and reinstalling drivers (new or old), I still get the same latency back.

Just means that my timing errors whilst playing can be blamed on a latency problem. :wink:

Thanks for that Barry. Its just that there's some real good deals on the J Station at the moment, as its less than ?150, where all the others are pretty expensive.

That HOT blues/rock tone is also something I'm after, but I want a modeller that can handle my bass too (which funnily enough the BOSS ME30 does brilliantly). I just need to sit down and edit patches!

Thanks again Bazzer. :wink:

I keep meaning to go and try out amp modellers, but never get round to it. Such is life.

Did you read the review of the Tri OD in Guitarist? Looks good!

Alright Mr Smart Pants! :wink:

It would help if I looked at the review before I talked about it I guess!

Have you tried the SansAmp in front of a Valve Amp and to what results?

Anyone else who owns a POD and has a SoundBlaster had any problems with SoundDiver not recognising POD?

What solutions do you recommend?

Finally sussed out the SoundBlaster MIDI problem, and got the POD interface working.

Mental note. Remember to activate the Joystick port next time! Doh! :wink:

Here's my Setup:
Guitar:
Fender Strat or Tokai Love Rock > Teese RMC-2 Wah > Fender Cyber-Twin > (via XLR's) M-Audio Delta-66 > mixed/mastered with Cool Edit Pro 2
- Sometimes I'll use a SamsAmp GT-2 and/or an Ibanez TS-9/808mod pedal after the Wah.

Bass:
Fender FotoFlame Jazz bass > SansAmp Bass DI > J-Station > (via TRS 1/4's) Delta-66...

Drum Track:
Zoom RT-323 > (via TRS 1/4's) Delta-66...

My mp3's are at http://dabluesman.com

here is a really good ASIO driver to use go here and get it if u dont already have it...

www.asio4all.com

i have just started getting into home recording on my P.C. i have a fairly basic rig as far as things go for audio stuff...

AMD64 3000+ oc/ed to 3800+

1GB corsair TwinX low latency RAM

160GB HDD

Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 soundcard

Cubase SX3

i manage to get a latency of 8ms with that asio4all driver my sound engineering tutor from college told me about it asnd it totally improved my setup as i was experiencing some weird things with my recording where it would be in time for the first half of the track then it would appear as if some of the tracks start speedin up and going out of sync... but after getting that asio driver it now gets me this really low latency and my recordings now sound in perfect time!!!

i just run a sennheiser E840 mic into my soundcard and stick it infront of my laney 4x12 and marshall JCM2000 triple super lead 100w head, and my tokai LS85Q and ibanez RG7420 7 string...

i really want to get myself and electric drumkit so i can do my own drum tracks with it...

i really want to get the use of my amps Emulated Line Out at some point to.. i guess i would get a much better recording signal going direct... but as i said i have just started getting into all this home recording on the computer business

LRR - Hope you're good with a soldering iron for your Line Out cable, as it's not a standard XLR! When I had my TSL122, I ended up having to make my own cable, using the schematic in the TSL's manual (download the PDF version from Marshall's site if you haven't got it). The tone from the Line Out is not as good as mic'ing your cab, nowhere near in fact IMO.

How do you find SX3 to use? I'm still using v5.0!

An Alesis SR-16 is a nice sounding little drum machine IMO, and relatively easy to programme as well.

I use a PODxt for recording, as I can't really mic up my amp due to living in good old suburbia... ;)

i am totally loving cubase SX3 its so simple to use and u can get great results without having any experience with PC recording...

i mean this is the first time i have ever really tried out recording with my computer... and cubase SX3 makes the task so darn easy... i actually find it easier to use than a proper hardware multitrack recorder...

Skybone i am not to bad with a soldering iron , i used to work in a guitar store where they had me whipping up XLR cables and installing new pots into guitars and amps... i do actually recall seeing the pic in the manual with diagrams for the type of XLR lead u need to get use of the emulated line out..

i tried recording with my mic lead today and well ur right Skybone it aint a normal XLR cable coz when i wasnt playing anything u could see my input on the mixer and the green bar to show ur input signal was sitting half way up and tbhat was without playing a note... when i did start playing the record levels was really horrible... so for now i am gonna just stick with my sennheiser e840 mic.. it gives me a pretty decent signal for what i am doing anyways...

i have just been learning how to work Cubase and so i have just been downloading midi files for songs that i like then opening them up in cubase and taking out everything except the drums and bass, and then i have recorded all the guitars and vocals myself just so that i can get an understanding of how everything works within cubase

Skybone said:
I use a PODxt for recording, as I can't really mic up my amp due to living in good old suburbia... ;)

i live in a high rise block of flats i dont care if my neighbours dont like my guitar being loud they can go F**K themselves :lol:

Anyone who is new to recording on the computer might like to check out relatively new recording programme on the market, called Reaper by the people at cockos.. It's a free non crippeld fully fiunctional demo and the private licesne is stupidly cheap, ala 50 bucks or thereabouts, considering what the programme can do.. The midi side is stil it's weak point but that is gradually being brought up to spec. literally, on a daily basis.

It takes a little practise to get the hang of it, but once you have and you have a regular way of recording things, it can be saved as a template and booted up for every new project.. it also cmes with a pretty decent set of built in plugins..

It's also relatively light on processor demands, which is always a good thing...

I agree with you on that SteveDoG. I've been using Reaper since it was in the version 0.09 series and it was still free. It's really come a long way and Justin Frankel (the developer, who also came up with WinAmp) posted the beta 2.0 version on the Cockos website a few days ago.

SteveDoG said:
Anyone who is new to recording on the computer might like to check out relatively new recording programme on the market, called Reaper by the people at cockos.. It's a free non crippeld fully fiunctional demo and the private licesne is stupidly cheap, ala 50 bucks or thereabouts, considering what the programme can do.. The midi side is stil it's weak point but that is gradually being brought up to spec. literally, on a daily basis.

It takes a little practise to get the hang of it, but once you have and you have a regular way of recording things, it can be saved as a template and booted up for every new project.. it also cmes with a pretty decent set of built in plugins..

It's also relatively light on processor demands, which is always a good thing...

Latest posts

Back