tokai TEA-60S

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royc

Reaction score
Edited my post 'coz I just confirmed that this is a Tokai TEA-60S from a pic he posted at another site that clearly shows 2 knobs. I also got his number and sent him an SMS message but he hasn't replied back. Wish me luck that I get it :)

73e8d4abe32bcbf5c074a82c8efa4857.jpg

Here are better pics from that other site.

dsc3377jpg.jpg

dsc3385jpg.jpg

dsc3386jpg.jpg

dsc3391jpg.jpg

dsc3394jpg.jpg

dsc3395jpg.jpg

dsc3396jpg.jpg

dsc3397jpg.jpg

From the catalog:

tokai_85-86_electric_p13.jpg

royc said:
Since no one seems to have any info on this model is it a bad idea to buy this? Tnx

Couple things different about your the guitar and the catalog pic. Trussrod cover is different and there is no neck or headstock binding.

The only issue with buying it is do you know that it is really what you are buying?

marcusnieman said:
royc said:
Since no one seems to have any info on this model is it a bad idea to buy this? Tnx

Couple things different about your the guitar and the catalog pic. Trussrod cover is different and there is no neck or headstock binding.

The only issue with buying it is do you know that it is really what you are buying?

Hey that's a very helpful observation I didn't notice that :)

I'm now sure that it is a TEA-60 'coz it doesn't have a binding on the neck and headstock. If I'm correct that there are 2 knobs on the pic below then it is a shallow body, otherwise it is a deep body (preferred).

[edit: pics moved to the first post]

I now believe that it is a TEA-60S but still can't find any feedback on the net. Would it be safe to buy this guitar simply 'coz Tokai has been making good acoustic guitars? My current acoustic is a china made Ibanez AEL10E jumbo w/ B-Band pickup which will be sold this lunch to fund my purchase. Thanks :)

It looks nice! If the price was good, I would buy it. Tokai is usually good quality so you can't really go wrong with an old one.

Cool....didn't know there were two models. From what you've shown now, I'm thinking it looks legit. Fretboard markers are another identifying item to the catalog.

Is there a label inside the body?

Yes it looks nice but I don't know if US$260 is a good price :D

I'm not sure if there' a label but he mentioned there is a serial number and that a check w/ the registry showed it's 1980. I doubt it though 'coz I only found it in the 1984/85 catalog. He didn't leave his number and it takes a long time for him to reply to my messages. I think I'll just meet him and check the guitar personally. Hopefully it is still unsold.

BTW I found a TEA80S and it shows the model number just under the neck joint inside the sound hole. I'm not sure if the translation is accurate though.

http://translate.google.com.ph/tran...result&prev=/search?q=tokai+tea80s&hl=en&sa=G

royc said:
Yes it looks nice but I don't know if US$260 is a good price :D

I'm not sure if there' a label but he mentioned there is a serial number and that a check w/ the registry showed it's 1980. I doubt it though 'coz I only found it in the 1984/85 catalog. He didn't leave his number and it takes a long time for him to reply to my messages. I think I'll just meet him and check the guitar personally. Hopefully it is still unsold.

BTW I found a TEA80S and it shows the model number just under the neck joint inside the sound hole. I'm not sure if the translation is accurate though.

http://translate.google.com.ph/tran...result&prev=/search?q=tokai+tea80s&hl=en&sa=G

$260 is a great price for an electric/acoustic.....and a Tokai to boot.

I got the tokai!

I love the looks, everything from the design and wood to the inlays. Strange but it says TEA60D though it is not deep body and only has 2 knobs. Probably a wrong stamp. It also has 5 as the first digit so I assume it's an 85.

It is not as loud as my old jumbo but the sound is full considering it's shallow body though it lacks volume. Strings are old and I can't wait to change the strings to see if it sounds bright which is my preferece.

Got passive pickup and a noticeable hum that sometimes faints when I move the guitar. Not fair to compare w/ the electronics of my jumbo's b-band though. Perhaps a visit to the luthier will fix it.

There's a small area near the bottom binding that has a damaged finish. Upon inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that apparently the previous owner fixed with glue that may have eaten the finish. You need to look very close to see the crack though.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, considering that I didn't spend much and it looks much better than my black jumbo (my wife likes it) that I had to let go to fund this purchase. I wonder what size of hardcase I will need for this.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks Cali Girl :)

After replacing the strings it sounds much better now, like the strings are ringing inside a chamber with each strum. And it looks really good on my avatar haha.

I just have to bring it to a luthier 'coz it has high action and to fix the hum.

royc said:
I got the tokai!

I love the looks, everything from the design and wood to the inlays. Strange but it says TEA60D though it is not deep body and only has 2 knobs. Probably a wrong stamp. It also has 5 as the first digit so I assume it's an 85.

It is not as loud as my old jumbo but the sound is full considering it's shallow body though it lacks volume. Strings are old and I can't wait to change the strings to see if it sounds bright which is my preferece.

Got passive pickup and a noticeable hum that sometimes faints when I move the guitar. Not fair to compare w/ the electronics of my jumbo's b-band though. Perhaps a visit to the luthier will fix it.

There's a small area near the bottom binding that has a damaged finish. Upon inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that apparently the previous owner fixed with glue that may have eaten the finish. You need to look very close to see the crack though.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, considering that I didn't spend much and it looks much better than my black jumbo (my wife likes it) that I had to let go to fund this purchase. I wonder what size of hardcase I will need for this.

Thanks for all the help!

Atta boy. :wink:

ChristopherG said:
How did the new strings go?
Just bought a Black 84 TEA 60S myself.
Got any more info about them?

Installed martin strings light and got plenty of harmonics--love it so much I spent my time just strumming open Gs and C9s. Had the bridge sanded a bit by a luthier to lower the action then had the nut and saddle replaced w/ bone. Had the strings replaced w/ thicker addarios and I lost some harmonics. Will try to go back to martin light and see what happens. Also considering DR strings.

The luthier made the hum disappear but I miss the b-band transducer on my old ibanez.

I can't find other info on this model except for the catalogs. How's your TEA?

Have fited the Martin lights, rewired the plug and battery carrier, cleaned the pots and it now sounds great, as good as it looks

Latest posts

Back