Orville LP Junior Doublecut - show your 'working class-LPs'!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojoburst

Reaction score
Hi MIJ-Guitar -Fans!I?d like to show you my first Orville Les Paul-Model:
Orville Les Paul Junior Doublecut HC (cherry) LPJD-70, mij 1995, serial-# 511365. The Guitar came directly from Japan. It is a true bargain. Some dents, dings & chips, nothin? major. Needed to polish the frets and did a complete setup. 1 day later I decided to make it a 1995-to-1958 -conversion. Here?s a list of my modifications:
- reliced the glossy clearcoat (incl. dents, dings, finish-wear in arm rest-area)
- aged all nickel-parts like screws, jack-washer, dogear-polepieces, tuners, the 'new' Faber wraparound stoptail and alu-strap-pins
- installed 2 US Pots 500kOhms & german 'TubeAmpDoctor'-PIO-cap 0.022mf 600V
- wired it ?50s-style
- smoothened the edges & corners of the P-90 dogear-cover
- reliced the tortoise-pickguard
- aged 2 black top-hat-knobs

The result is:
OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-4.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-5.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-6.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-9.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-7.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherrymij1-8.jpg

The Guitar plays like butter. The mahogany-grain is very tight & fine! Superb Quality results in excellent tone! Everlasting sustain! A very resonant, full & strong tone when played 'dry', connected to a (tube-) amp the guitar becomes a tonal allrounder.
- Vol. on 5, tone on 5 = sweet, jazzy notes, clear, no muddy sounds.
- Vol. on 5, tone on 8 = nice & round rhythm-sound
- Vol. on 8, tone on 5 = creamy blues-chrunch & rock-leads
- Vol. on 10, tone on 7-8 = chunky rock?n roll & fat punk rock-sounds
- Vol. on 10 & tone on 10 = killer-twangy funk- & sharp cutting edge-tone
Whispering sweet tone to growling thunder, chunky chords to dryest twang - no problem!

NOW IT?S UP TO YOU! SHOW YOUR 'WORKING CLASS-LES PAUL' !!

COOL!
A 'real' ?58? First production run. Seems to have rounder body-edges. Haven?t noticed that till now.
Is it the original Trussrod-cover?
I should change the tuners to the 'white button-version' to give the Headstock the right look.
THANX for the great pic!!

Yes it's a '58. It's a beater though due to total refin. Apparently, the body edges were rounded off to remove dents ...... that's all I can figure. No, not an original trc.

But, she sounds and plays like a million bucks.

Joe58LPJr005a.jpg

An original 1958-Junior! KILLER! I really love the tone of old Guitars. ...and old cases do have also something special!
By the way...
OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCcherryLPJD-70.jpg

A nice pair of ObG?s, JohnA! Innadaze,THANX for the great pics!!
I really love Les Paul-type Guitars (usually they?re singlecuts), but from the 'Junior' model-line I?d always choose the DC?s! I don?t know why.
Every Les Paul-collection should show a Junior-model, cause it?s an excellent example of the founders marketing politics in the late ?50?s (to built a Les Paul-model for EVERYONE!). P-90 -equipped LP?s are rare too, compared to the millions of humbucker-type Lesters. The Juniors have a 'rude' sound, like an agressive dog. Les Paul standard-models with P-90?s are on the 'brave' side, cause they have much more wood to create a warm tone.
Actually i?m a fan of non-PAF-type Pickups (as you can see in the following Picture), but that changes periodically...(as you can see in another picture :wink: )
non-PAF-AREA1.jpg

GuitarCollectionRalfScheffer1204-1.jpg

PLEASE show more JUNIOR-pics! I know they?re somewhere out there !!

Hi there!
I replaced the original all-nickel Tuners with self-aged Kluson Double-Line 'white knobs'. The period-correct '3-on-a-strip'-machines needed additional screw-holes, so I mounted the 3/3-single tuners:
OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCLPJD-70HCcher.jpg

OrvilleLesPaulJuniorDCLPJD-70HCc-2.jpg

SOME MORE JUNIOR-PICS OUT THERE ???

My new 1988 Greco:
P1010001-8.jpg

P1010002-6.jpg

P1010003-7.jpg

According to som people, this is more or less the same guitar as the Orville Jr?s.

Hi, El Polifemo

Seems to be an all original Guitar, except the strap-pin at the upper cutaway, not sure about the speed-knobs. Very strong cherry color! The specs seem to be the same to my Orville LP Junior, so I think you?re right. Please show some pics from the back of your guitar & headstock (serial-#).

THANX for the great pics! :p

mojoburst said:
Hi, El Polifemo

Semms to be an all original Guitar, except the strap-pin at the upper cutaway, not sure about the speed-knobs. Very strong cherry color! The specs seem to be the same to my Orville LP Junior, so I think you?re right. Please show some pics from the back of your guitar & headstock (serial-#).

THANX for the great pics! :p

Here ya go

P1010004-5.jpg

P1010005-5.jpg

P1010006-4.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

YEP! Same Specs. I?m learning a lot here in 'Tokai Forum'! After upgrades and relicing were finished I had the great opportunity to check out my ORVILLE LP Junior DC with a Marshall late?60s Plexi 50W Halfstack and a Fender Tonemaster & 2x12" Cabinet, wich was a great experience. I came to know the flexibility of this 'simple' Guitar by experimenting with different knob-adjustments. It?s ALL there! I became a Junior-fan these days and started collecting all conceivable informations about the Gibson LP Juniors from the mid- to late ?50s as well as about the MIJ-counterparts from all brands. If you know something ?bout that, please let me know or post it here.

FURTHER PICS REQUIRED, please!

Some are gone and some are still in my possesion.
Greco SC JR
GrecoJRSC.jpg

Orville by Gibson
OrvillebyGibson.jpg

Burny
BurnyLPJRTV.jpg

Burny LP Special
BurnySpecialMarley.jpg

Burny SG Junior
P1010350.jpg

Gibson SG Junior
GibbeSGJunior.jpg

marcusnieman said:
Nice lineup. The Bob Marley LP Special looks like it's body is 4 or 5 pieces :eek:

I think it is a 3 piece. Sold it so I can't check.
I have hade more but can't find pictures of them.
Now I have an Orville by Gibson. That is just enough.
The red greco that Polifemo owns was mine before.
Those Greco Juniors from the Mint Collectione years are nice light weights.

Koubayashi said:
marcusnieman said:
Nice lineup. The Bob Marley LP Special looks like it's body is 4 or 5 pieces :eek:

I think it is a 3 piece. Sold it so I can't check.
I have hade more but can't find pictures of them.
Now I have an Orville by Gibson. That is just enough.
The red greco that Polifemo owns was mine before.
Those Greco Juniors from the Mint Collectione years are nice light weights.

Need another?

Epi2.jpg

Epi1.jpg

Latest posts

Back