• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vintage '81 Tokai ES150R

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Bob

Reaction score
I've decided to decrease my "harem", i.e. my small collection !!!
For sale is one of the best semi-hollow guitars available - Tokai '81 ES150R!
Honey-blond colour, perfect condition, all parts original, except long pickguard.
I have this guitar since 1982 - she was orig. equiped with 2 black "Seymour Duncan PAF's" - since about 3 years i'm using the "RS-Fralin '60 PAF's" -
the buyer has the choice between Duncans or Fralins. Included is also the black hardshell case - i think that it's original Tokai-case, cause that was my delivery in 1982...
New Price: 2.450,00 Euro or very near offer, plus shipping and insurance.
For "high-res" pics please send e-mail.

es150R_21.jpg

es150R_24.jpg

es150R_4.jpg

es150R_7.jpg

es150R_4.1.jpg

serial_1.jpg

Hello Cali Girl...

thanks - yes, many years ago i've installed "Schallers" - well, Larry Carlton used them - so, since some years i'm back to the Tokai original tuners...

cheers from Hamburg

Did it originally have a long pick guard! Good old Tokai, they know how to do a reissue.

Very nice guitar. :D

hello marcusnieman & Mick51 & JVsearch ...
thanks a lot for your very nice comments - it was the long pckguard first,
i've changed the "disturbing" shape very soon to the "Gibson" part -
so, long pickguard is long gone...

cheers from Hamburg

But the long pickguard is my favourite bit! :( It's the original "Gibson part"... the '59 335s had a long guard.

AlanN said:
But the long pickguard is my favourite bit! :( It's the original "Gibson part"... the '59 335s had a long guard.

Look deep inside yourself - does the long guard actually look good, or do we just like it because it denotes the earliest 335s? :D

I gotta be honest, the short guard looks better...

Shush, you! Don't disturb my self-delusion!

The short guard does look better, I agree... but I still have a soft spot for the long guard. Such an odd design decision on a guitar which was otherwise beautifully realised. :)

I agree the short guard looks better. Weren't Gibson just using up existing stocks of long guards when the 335 was introduced in 1958?

Mike

bigmike said:
As it should be - the cherry ES150DCC is the rarest of rare ES150DCs...

Very Nice !!

Good eye! Right you are.....1969 ES150DC in Cherry. First year issue of this model and the only year they came in Cherry. Made until 1974 in Natural and Walnut finsh.

ES335 profile with ES175 thickness... all hollow and howls like a coyote if you turn toward an amp. But the master volume knob really helps that.

Thanks for the kind words.

2043.jpg

marcusnieman said:
ES335 profile with ES175 thickness... all hollow and howls like a coyote if you turn toward an amp. But the master volume knob really helps that.

Oh that's interesting, I hadn't heard of those. So kinda like a 330 with HBs?

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

Oh that's interesting, I hadn't heard of those. So kinda like a 330 with HBs?

Well like a 330 in the sense its the same shape but the 150 has twice as thick a body than a 330 or 335. It's a fat boy, big box like an ES175. The master volume control on the lower bout is a really cool feature.

Mr. Bob this is a Tokai model I?ve been looking for and I would love to own,but cannot get that price.

Good luck on the sale,it?s a beauty!

She is a real beauty. However, the asking price is very similar to a 1964 ES335 on ebay 2 days ago.

My max offer would be around USD 1800.--. Thats her value.

I know that I'll get flamed for thtis statement.

Rup

Latest posts

Back