Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orville... need some opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pylyo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Orville... need some opinion Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am new in here and I ain't got a lot of knowledge about Orville LP. I have some 'bout Tokais but not 'bout these LPs.
So need your opinion. The guy who is selling it says it is MIJ 1997 and has AAA flame maple, the price = 800 eur. Now is it worth that money or should I look for something else. Now from what I have seen it doesn't have that infamous K in serial but...

Here r some pics.

MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likely a 'photo flame' top & if that's the case, personally I would pass ............

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
pylyo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I see. So what would be the "real" price for it. Maybe I can make this guy to lower it. Also how are those Orville in compare to Tokais? I mean probably they are somewhere in LS85 or ?

P.S.: Looking for used LP for 600-700 eur. Preferred LS but LC will do it as well.
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pylyo wrote:
Aha, I see. So what would be the "real" price for it. Maybe I can make this guy to lower it. Also how are those Orville in compare to Tokais? I mean probably they are somewhere in LS85 or ?

P.S.: Looking for used LP for 600-700 eur. Preferred LS but LC will do it as well.

My personal opinion of a 'photo flame' top is not much better than my opinion of a veneer top; I don't care for either but it's just a personal preference

I would rather have some real wood there, solid wood, even if plain

The guitar itself is likely a 75 grade, with an original MSRP of 75,000 yen

Personally, I do not have as much experience with the Orville & Tokai brands as I do with other brands

AFA the Orville brand, I prefer the FujiGen made examples, and I don't go as far as the OBG brand as I don't believe the extra cost is worth the little bit of potential extra quality.

I have had several Orvilles thru' my hands that spec wise, will beat an OBG on specs & on price too

AFA Tokai, I have had from LS-50 to LS-320, and there again I do not believe the extra cost is actually representative of the worth of the playing experience

If you're set on an Orville, get a solid top, at a reasonable price ............... just my opinion ...........

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MIJvintage"]
pylyo wrote:
My personal opinion of a 'photo flame' top is not much better than my opinion of a veneer top; I don't care for either but it's just a personal preference

I would rather have some real wood there, solid wood, even if plain

Surely there will be just as much solid maple under the flame veneer as there is on any other LP?

Mike
El Polifemo
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I?ve got a photo flame Orville LP Standard ( http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13417 ) and it?s a fantastic instrument in every respect. Exept for the looks that is.
The photo flame looks horrible in real life...

Still there is as much solid mahogany and solid maple as in the ones without veneer/photo plame.

Last edited by El Polifemo on Sun May 17, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Photo flame is only for looks.

How the guitar sounds is another thing.

To me it looks a bit false but others seem to like it.

The photo flame Orvilles should basically sound like all of the other Orvilles with no photo flames.

Buyers are affected by the visual look of the guitar but the looks don't end up coming out of the amps speaker, only the guitars sound (and the fret edge binding lol).
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i would sand off or remove the photo flame and just have a nice plain top.

Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: