Orville... need some opinion

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pylyo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new in here and I ain't got a lot of knowledge about Orville LP. I have some 'bout Tokais but not 'bout these LPs.
So need your opinion. The guy who is selling it says it is MIJ 1997 and has AAA flame maple, the price = 800 eur. Now is it worth that money or should I look for something else. Now from what I have seen it doesn't have that infamous K in serial but...

Here r some pics.

Aha, I see. So what would be the "real" price for it. Maybe I can make this guy to lower it. Also how are those Orville in compare to Tokais? I mean probably they are somewhere in LS85 or ?

P.S.: Looking for used LP for 600-700 eur. Preferred LS but LC will do it as well.

pylyo said:
Aha, I see. So what would be the "real" price for it. Maybe I can make this guy to lower it. Also how are those Orville in compare to Tokais? I mean probably they are somewhere in LS85 or ?

P.S.: Looking for used LP for 600-700 eur. Preferred LS but LC will do it as well.

My personal opinion of a 'photo flame' top is not much better than my opinion of a veneer top; I don't care for either but it's just a personal preference

I would rather have some real wood there, solid wood, even if plain :)

The guitar itself is likely a 75 grade, with an original MSRP of 75,000 yen

Personally, I do not have as much experience with the Orville & Tokai brands as I do with other brands

AFA the Orville brand, I prefer the FujiGen made examples, and I don't go as far as the OBG brand as I don't believe the extra cost is worth the little bit of potential extra quality.

I have had several Orvilles thru' my hands that spec wise, will beat an OBG on specs & on price too :D

AFA Tokai, I have had from LS-50 to LS-320, and there again I do not believe the extra cost is actually representative of the worth of the playing experience

If you're set on an Orville, get a solid top, at a reasonable price ............... just my opinion ...........

MIJvintage said:
pylyo said:
My personal opinion of a 'photo flame' top is not much better than my opinion of a veneer top; I don't care for either but it's just a personal preference

I would rather have some real wood there, solid wood, even if plain :)

Surely there will be just as much solid maple under the flame veneer as there is on any other LP?

Mike

I?ve got a photo flame Orville LP Standard ( http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13417 ) and it?s a fantastic instrument in every respect. Exept for the looks that is.
The photo flame looks horrible in real life...

Still there is as much solid mahogany and solid maple as in the ones without veneer/photo plame.

The Photo flame is only for looks.

How the guitar sounds is another thing.

To me it looks a bit false but others seem to like it.

The photo flame Orvilles should basically sound like all of the other Orvilles with no photo flames.

Buyers are affected by the visual look of the guitar but the looks don't end up coming out of the amps speaker, only the guitars sound (and the fret edge binding lol).

Back