Wanted; Orville Parts

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooticus

Reaction score
I just took possession of a beautiful '95 Orville Goldtop (Thanks MIJvintage!) that has 2 cracked pickup rings (cream color). Does anyone out there have a connection for replacement parts for these guitars? I mean actual factory parts, because the parts I got to replace these are not EXACT matches.

Hi scooticus,
there are 2 different sizes of PU-rings on the market. The 'korean rings' are a bit cheaper, but wider than the 'US-size'-rings. If you go for original Gibson products you are on the right way, I?m sure. Otherwise the original ones can be repaired with super glue. After you have carefully fixed the rings with super glue and it?s all surely dried out the PU-ring surface can be smoothened with a fingernail polish-tool from the girl next to you :wink:
Open this link and scroll down to the nice Orville LP from 'Knarbens', he replaced his PU-rings with Gibson historic reissue parts:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/40632-show-your-orville-les-pauls-2.html

Scott, If you really dig the "yellow match to the binding" of the pup rings, you could go the replacement route & spray the new ones with The Guitar ReRanch 'Tinted' Clear Coat nitro lacquer, for an instantly aged look :wink: ..................

Ironically, the one I do not have in the pic is the 'tinted' clear :oops:
reranchcans-1.jpg

Thanks very much for the helpful info. On the advice of my local repairman/luthier, I'm going to repair the original rings and keep the guitar in 'factory fresh' condition. I'll post some pics when it's done.

While the tinted Reranch method will work, it takes a steady hand and some practice. An easier method is to use wood stain and a rag, then wipe off excess. With the spray can method, you can get shiny spots if you have a heavy hand so be sure to go back and forth, depressing the button on each pass in spurts. Considering these parts are so small with minimal surface area, the wood stain method is preferred.

I really like Scott's idea of keeping the pickup rings he currently has on his Orville gold top :)

The guitar isn't necessarily a ?collectable? example per say yet I believe it is an excellent example of very good quality, at a moderate price point.

The body is 2 piece center seam, and the grain is actually reverse matched.
The way this particular guitar was made, the grain in the mahogany actually projects vibrations/sound to the top/front of the guitar.
For a non 1 piece body, this is about as high of quality of as you can get, and it actually projects sound better than many 1 piece bodied LPs I have played.
That is saying a lot :wink:

AFA I can determine the guitar was/is in completely original condition, and if I were still the owner, I really wouldn?t want to change a thing about it, with the possible exception of some electronic components.

That is a wonderful gold top, and anyone would be happy to play it & to own it.

Scott, when are you sending that thing back :p

Rich, you know that's just not going to happen! :wink: I am digging this guitar to death - it's exactly what I wanted.

Latest posts

Back