Whats your favourite amp?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My default amp is a '76 Fender Dual Showman Reverb that has been modded to pre CBS Blackface Twin Reverb specs. It's a TR in a head. Best all around tone. I keep two tubes pulled to bring the wattage down to fifty or so. I always pop 'em back in for those stadium gigs that are always popping up. :lol:
It's great with a strat or a paul.

I've recently acquired a silverface Vibro Champ, and I've still got to change my caps and tweak a couple of resistor values, etc. But man, I like it a lot!

My '68 BMR is sweet all it's own. It's a silverface with the trim ring. Beautiful PTP cloth wired chassis!

It all depends on the mood I'm in.

I think I'm gonna build an 18 watt plexi clone for my first amp project. To me, I have to have one of everything so I won't be missing something.

I love it!

Still need to acquire the Nano head, they run about $450 for 1/2 watt. I went and tested one last weekend. For 1/2 watt it's really load through a 1x12 closed cab, just as load as my Champ. The instructions suggest running it through a 4x12 cab.

Ned

I used to have a Roland Jazz Chorus - don't bother, they're horrible, sterile things.
For guitar, I don't think you can beat either an old HiWatt 50 or Orange head. Although I wouldn't mind a Vox AC30.
Play bass these days though, so AFAIC you can't beat my Trace GP11.

For my Love Rock, I get the very best "Les Paul" sound I can imagine using a little Laney LC15R combo. Really classic rock sounds with no pedals & no effort! I tried the bigger Laney's (as the LC15R is too small to gig with for 95% of the places I play), but the tone was not the same & the sweetness was gone. :-? Luckily it has a 'line out' so can be put through the PA for added level & ambience on small gigs.

The LC15R replaced a Fender Pro-Junior (older, tweed model, with alnico speaker) as my practice amp of choice.

Usually I use a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jnr. for gigs, sound sgreat with my Strats & beats the Matcheless SC30 I had before, and reminds me a lot of the early 60's Vox AC15 & (several) AC30's I had in UK.

Since getting my Cornish Duplex at Christmas I can, at last, be less fussy about amps. It gives a really great sound through most tube amps set clean 8)

This lets me use the "house amps" in places like Hard Rock Caf? etc. without having to lug my Dr. Z to every gig.

Pics of these on my homepage (link below).

Hi Bill!

I've also got a Laney LC15R. Nice little inexpensive valve amp.

Have you upgraded the speaker yet? I put a Jensen C10Q in mine and noticed a substantial increase in volume.

Best wishes,
Ian

My current fav.

Allen Hot Fudge w/nut with a Red Fang.

This is a copy of an early 60's brown face princeton and it's done well.

http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.html

I've not read through every post to see whether someone has mentioned this. My current favourite combination is an LS125SEB coupled with a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10. TO DIE FOR.

My only problem is being able to crank it up without upsetting the neighbours!! :lol:

with my SG155 :evil: and LS320 :wink: :
metro jtm45 :evil:
clark rockford reverb (45w vibroverb reverb in a deluxe reverb cab) :D
alessandro rottweiler :eek:

guitarslinger said:
I've not read through every post to see whether someone has mentioned this. My current favourite combination is an LS125SEB coupled with a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10. TO DIE FOR.

My only problem is being able to crank it up without upsetting the neighbours!! :lol:

Hi Richard,

I have the same amp - using a THD HotPlate between amp and speakers provides the desired tone but in an acceptable loudness ... I love it !! :lol:

Roger

For the price of a THD hotplate you can buy a Laney VC15-110 15 watt. I use one of these at home and it's a great little amp. It's hard to get a bad sound out of it. I now prefer it to my Cornford Harlequin. The only downside is the 10" speaker. It's a brilliant sounding Jensen C10Q but it's a little lacking in the low end compared to a 12". Laney do a 2x10 or a 1x12 extension cab but these have different drivers which don't have the sparkle of the C10Q. I've to fit a Jensen C12Q to a 1x12 cab and modify the ext speaker out to run this in series with the 10" and that should make a great mini stack.

Beta Aivin's amp is super,especial work with Fender/Tokai guitars.
So is its guitar effects.Some guitarist say the effect of Beta Aivin' guitar effect is equal to Boss'.Have you used it?What do you think of it?

i'm using a B52 2x12 100watt combo at the moment and it sounds great.
About to run it through my 4x12 Celestion cab to see how it sounds.

Latest posts

Back