abr locking bridge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't meaning to sound demeaning, its just that a slide has no contact with the wood at all so it will produce a result not consistent with the job the nut does, and a nut effects the sound in a different way to the bridge as well so there are so many variables it is virtually impossible to compare a slide with a fixed part on any guitar. And any different material used for saddles or the nut will produce a differing result in tone, so now its just up too personal preference, as far as nuts go i prefer bone and saddles i prefer brass......different strokes for different folks... :D

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I wasn't meaning to sound demeaning, its just that a slide has no contact with the wood at all so it will produce a result not consistent with the job the nut does, and a nut effects the sound in a different way to the bridge as well so there are so many variables it is virtually impossible to compare a slide with a fixed part on any guitar. And any different material used for saddles or the nut will produce a differing result in tone, so now its just up too personal preference, as far as nuts go i prefer bone and saddles i prefer brass......different strokes for different folks... :D

Mick

No offence taken ! :D
I know this is not supposed to be filosophy, but in a way it often ends there.
Hmm.. Maybe I am confusing concepts because of lacking english skills...
The nut in my understanding is the brass pieces in the bridge ?
Or is it the thing that holds the strings at the headstock ?
:eek: ****...

leadguitar_323 said:
The nut is at the start of the fretboard {1st fret} and the saddles are the small pieces in the bridge you adjust to intonate the guitar.

Mick

Yes.. This is really embaressing.. I have been talking about the saddle but I have called it the nut all the time, since I am not too familiar with the different parts of the guitar in english.. I guess this has made things even more confusing. Thanks for your patience everybody !
:oops:
(when do I learn to shut the F... up !)

labbi, it really does help if everyone puts their location in their profile, like this

<

It's easy for us native English speakers to forget sometimes that so many people on here speak a different language as their first language, because so many of you speak English so well. But if you put your location in your profile, it can act as a reminder if there is any confusion.

Besides, I find it interesting to know where the different people on here actually live, & I'm sure I'm not the only one.

stratman323 said:
labbi, it really does help if everyone puts their location in their profile, like this

<

It's easy for us native English speakers to forget sometimes that so many people on here speak a different language as their first language, because so many of you speak English so well. But if you put your location in your profile, it can act as a reminder if there is any confusion.

Besides, I find it interesting to know where the different people on here actually live, & I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks Mike, I?ll add those details right away.. And I?ll fetch my danish / english dictionary from the basement as well !

:roll:

I put a locking ABR with brass saddles on just a few days ago, and look forward to play my first rehearsals with the band today. The acoustic sound is mellower and the sustain is a little better, the tail of the note seems somewhat stronger, but as has been pointed out in previous posts, there is a lot of psychology involved. I also made a small recording with the stock bridge and then the same lick with the locking/brass saddle bridge, and I think there's a slight difference. The brass is mellower whereas the stock (steel?) is raunchier and more pronounced. At the moment I prefer the brass, we'll see...

Outsider said:
The brass is mellower whereas the stock (steel?) is raunchier and more pronounced. At the moment I prefer the brass, we'll see...

Hi, good idea to make that recording, I wish I had thought of that !
What you are saying is what I imagined was the case, that the brass - saddles :D ! Have a different/ darker/ mellower sound than the "steel?" It could be interresting to hear whether other people have observed the same.

Latest posts

Back