Order made OBG? ..oh so beautiful

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that really a solid flametop? Looks like veneer to me.
Or am I in a position where I had better get glasses?

Koubayashi said:
Is that really a solid flametop? Looks like veneer to me.

No, it's solid. One of the pics shows the seam in the p/up rout. Perfect match from the top all the way down.

Incidentally, other than the sunburst, the top is very similar to my ObG LD-QM, which is a Yamano. Still have the warranty card.

villager said:
time for glasses, I never say its solid unless I am 100% certain...

is your LPQ solid?

Did lose some vision on my left eye from a tick borne lyme infection I had 2 years ago :wink:

I might have sold of a handful of these thinking they were veneer :lol:
Ha ha.....****, it is that dark edge on the top.
I studied some of mine and came to the conclusion that it must have been a darn good job matching the veneer with the bottom piece.

LPQ = Lake Placid Que? :D

villager said:
dont know..

I think it applies to most of the Japanese guitars.
I have had lots of high end from all makers and only a handful were crackled like an American Vintage guitar.

To catalyse the nitro is a quality improvement in my opinion but I also like the look of an old worn nitro finish.

the only ones I have had that crackled are this OBG, a few of the tokai's but not the majority, and the old navigators, which crackle a lot..

I think you are right, they didnt see that laquer cracking was desirable at the time, and added stabilisers to the nitro.. thats what I think..

That would explain quite a lot, if you're correct. Shame though, nitro treated this way doesn't age in the same gorgeous way as a US Fender of the same age has done.

The wiring channel routed before the top is put on is done by Gibson.
Tokai do it as well and Matsumoku did it on some guitars.

Is it South American Mahogany rather than African.
It doesn't seem to have the heavy streaks of African Mahogany.
Any chance of pics of the control cavity.

It's made in a Gibson way with the rectangular wiring channel holes before the top is put on and the crackling nitro.

Very odd.

It could be a prototype or a special order made by Terada but made following genuine Gibson designs using the Gibson type of wiring channel and the Gibson type of nitro.

The regular Terada and Fujigen OBG's are not made in a genuine Gibson way.
The regular Fujigen OBG wiring channels are like what they did on most of the Grecos and the regular Terada OBG wiring channels are not like the genuine Gibson ones either.

It doesn't seem to be a Tokai either because the Tokais have 4 square shaped pickup cavity holes and on this guitar 3 of the holes are rectangular and one looks squarish.

Looking at the pics on your site, # 4, the bridge p/up rout, looking towards the bridge.. They have actually lined up the grain across the seam in the top. Hope you don't mind my copying your pic.

That's just amazing!

DSCF6132.jpg
[/url]

Back