Help for a new guy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your patience.
I am looking to add an SG to supplement my Epi LP Custom with the 81/85 combo, and I need some help.
I've ALWAYS LOVED SG's, I've ALWAYS loved Sabbath. My first guitar was a Sabbath inspired, black ESP/LTD Viper 301. Heavy(for an SG) Twisted SG shape, kick *** beveled contours, concealed input, bound, set neck, 24 frets. Beautiful guitar.
The problem with that was the pickups sucked, it had no pickguard, and only 1 volume & one tone.
Now I have the LP. 10+lbs. Full rich sound. Stripped Maple neck. EMG 81/85 combo. Awesome sound & sustain. My poor man's ZWLP.
While I realise that an SG will never be able to pull off what a LP can as far as richness & sustain go, but, I have ALWAYS LOVED the SG. (Sabbath/Iommi again) What I need is a poor man's Iommi SG, and am on the quest for the best "bang for my buck". I plan on installing Iommi, or John Birch pickups in whatever I end up getting for my "Sabbath Guitar".
Tech info on the Tokai SG is VERY, VERY light and I am looking for more information. I recently came across a black, supposed Angus signature with chrome hardware. The body appears ro have the more prounounced upper bout, a bound neck and decent trapezoid neck inlays. (kind of a cross between a Viper & a Giboson SG which to me is GOOD). Pickups are irrelevant. Is it for real? Does Tokai make such a model?
I figure, if the Japanese can build clearly superior snowmobiles & motorcycles, (and some **** fime cars) they certainly can build somethething as simple as a guitar. That's why I'm here. You people are the experts. I need your help.
Here's what I REALLY want in an SG (on a VERY limited budget):
Heavy 7-8lbs one piece Mahogony body, with a bound, set (possibly Maple for future stripping) neck with cool inlays (silver crosses would be preferred, but..... trapezoid will do). I prefer a stripped neck & Ebony fretboard.
Black. ONLY black body & headstock, with small 62ish pickguard, concealed side body input.
Two volume two tone.
Top strap mount anywhere EXCEPT the point of the upper horn (ie. back of the body).
I've been searching for the past few months for another Viper 301 to "Iommi" with pu's and chrome hardware. Or a deal on a 400. I figure either of those two are about as close to what I want for the money that's available.
Or what about the Epi G400?
Enter the newest contender. The Tokai SG.
I have some simple, but not easily attainable questions about Tokai's SG's:
One piece body?
Neck set?
Neck materials available?
Bound neck?
Overall weight?
Materials?
Hardware?
Controls?
Ripoff Signature models available?
Colors available?
Availability in general
New prices?
Used prices?
Opinions/comparison with "real SG's"
Remember, I'm a bit of a gear junkie, and ANY info, no matter how trivial would be appreciated.
Harmony Central didn't have much to say, but has me interested & intrigued about what was there.

Thanx again,
-SDMF
8)

Gibson does make a Tony Iommi signature guitar, you know. There are two models. The custom shop, which is SWEET!!!! Mucho cross inlays, like the real thing, and a regular model. You can get into the regular one for just over a grand. The custom shop one is just under 3 grand I think.

Isn't there a NightWing Tokai version of the SG? All black with a bat inlay at the 12th fret. If your going for the Sabbath thing, it's kind of a goth guitar which might fit the whole image. Replace the pups and your golden.

Ned

Back