Jackson Guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:D Jackson soloist, I hear they are starting to get hot in the used market so I got one last Friday. Snow was predicted for Saturday so I went to Guitar Center for strings and parts to keep me busy while stuck in the house! They were taking this Jackson in trade on a LP Classic 60. A neck thru model with a Floyd black hardware and Candy Apple Red paint! I won't take it out of the house but it's a lot of fun! A Guilty Pleasure Indeed! $475 with a case,in 84 it retailed for $1200. Anybody else admit to one of these? Sounds best thru the FlextoneII in the rectified amp setting! Hey Jeff Beck used to play'em! Lord please forgive me,TG :-? When I told one of my vintage freak friends what I did he confessed and brought his Jackson Dinky over...with a Metalic Flame paint job! It's been under the bed since the late 80's :lol:

:D As I recall Jacksons and Charvels were made in the San Dimas facility until they moved in 85'? This is a fun guitar to play but really doesn't have a character, Everything I play sounds like mid-80's MTV /Headbangers Ball. Its funny how people react to this thing like a guilty peasure, I've yet to hand it to a player that has'nt started with the Dive Bombs and just making those funny Steve Vai sounds. It's not a great jazz guitar but if the song needs the sound of an elephant in heat this is the one! 8) TG

I'm still a big superstrat fan.
So let me get this straight though.
You got a '84 san dimas usa made Jackson soloist for only $475?
That's a steal. Most used USA Soloist fetch well over $700 and better.
Especially if it's in real good shape.
The Japan made Soloist Professional (standard and XL) usually fetch for under $600.

Eitherway, nice addition to your guitar collection. Congrats!

I myself am more of a Carvin fan. But, Jackson would be my second choice bar none.

Kent

Ah the memories of Headbangers ball. My roommates and I would hurry home on Saturday night (unless we scored) to watch "the ball".

One of the guitars I would really like is a Heavy Metal Strat - preferably not pink. The have the sweetest necks. USA Strat pups in the middle and neck and a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge.

Ned

widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly

:lol:

:lol G Boy , you are sooo right!!! But I must say that helacopter sounds and elephant noises can really add a lot to a good 12 bar blues! :lol: It really is a totally different instrument from what I usually play, but it it is a lot of fun! A return to the eighties and "Surfing with the Alien" stuff I haven't listened to in a long time...of all of those guys Satriani is a real melodic player and my fave. 8) TG widdle'n away !

yep! my fave 80's effect noise was the old floyd growl - hit a note then whack the trem - brrrrrrrroowww..... lol!
I've got a strat that has a nicely balanced floyd on it and even the chords growl if you hit them a bit too hard :lol:
my other fave effect/technique from back then is the Frank Gambale sweep ......

boodlyiddlyooooooo

then up a tone

boodlyiddlyooooooo

bring back the widdlers :D

8) G3 with Yingwe showed up in the mail yesterday, I'l let you know what I think about that one. I want to see how fast he is with those fat stubby fingers he's got now! It's tough getting old as a rock star, the leather pants in a size 38, the hair plugs and extentions...or you go the other way and just give up and wear the official outfit of middle age fat guys, a big loud Hawiain shirt and shorts with an elastic waist!! Mrs. TG has instructions to Shoot me on Sight if and when that happens to me! :evil: TG

TG lol! :lol:

I have a story about Mr M

A few years ago (too many to remember), when Yngwie was a young upstart, I was recording at Zomba records studio in Willesdon and in the next studio was the man himself remixing a live album.........

with the tape speed down ...... overdubbing!!!!!!

believe it!

appparently those fat fingers were a bit off live even before they got fat
:lol:

Still he's been staving off a proper job for longer than most so nuff respect is what I say.

:eek: Nobody fairs well on the G3 tour next to Joe and Steve, Joe is my fave ! a great melodic player and Vai is just a monster! Malmsteen ...musical masturbation! The worst of what shredding was all about. I felt bad for him ...taste , restraint, feeling just don't fit into his world. I felt bad for Eric Johnson on the last G3. For godsake don't sing Eric!!! Red House? Paleeze! Satriani is a real playa! I'm looking for a JS Ibanez...I gotta have one just for Sh*ts and Giggles! :lol: A lot of respect for Vai, but for feeling it's Joe!!! Met a guy today with a collection of Conrad guitars MIJ , he had some nice Electromatic Gretsch models that I had'nt seen before. A shoreline gold Fender MIJ that's a beauty! Back to G3 , the only guy to hold his own with Joe and Steve was Dallas's own Andy Timmons, I saw them together on the first G3 with Fripp. I'm lost in Metal Land! ....help me! 8) TG

kherman said:
I'm still a big superstrat fan.
So let me get this straight though.
You got a '84 san dimas usa made Jackson soloist for only $475?
That's a steal. Most used USA Soloist fetch well over $700 and better.
Especially if it's in real good shape.
The Japan made Soloist Professional (standard and XL) usually fetch for under $600.

Eitherway, nice addition to your guitar collection. Congrats!

I myself am more of a Carvin fan. But, Jackson would be my second choice bar none.

Kent

no, he said he got a Soloist for $475. or am i missing something?
anyhoo, i really like charvels moreso than jackson...i had a few....but really liked my neckthru model 5.5 w/ the double EMGs...WOW!
now i just have a charvelstrat SSH.

:D Sold the Jackson for $799 and bought a LS60 Gold top in 9 condition for an additional $51! Paid $475 for the Soloist and an additional $51 so for $526 I got just what I wanted! There are still some deals on MIJ Tok's ya might have to take the long road to get them! 8) TG

tokaiguy said:
:eek: Nobody fairs well on the G3 tour next to Joe and Steve, Joe is my fave ! a great melodic player and Vai is just a monster! Malmsteen ...musical masturbation! The worst of what shredding was all about. I felt bad for him ...taste , restraint, feeling just don't fit into his world. I felt bad for Eric Johnson on the last G3. For godsake don't sing Eric!!! Red House? Paleeze! Satriani is a real playa! I'm looking for a JS Ibanez...I gotta have one just for Sh*ts and Giggles! :lol: A lot of respect for Vai, but for feeling it's Joe!!! Met a guy today with a collection of Conrad guitars MIJ , he had some nice Electromatic Gretsch models that I had'nt seen before. A shoreline gold Fender MIJ that's a beauty! Back to G3 , the only guy to hold his own with Joe and Steve was Dallas's own Andy Timmons, I saw them together on the first G3 with Fripp. I'm lost in Metal Land! ....help me! 8) TG

I agree, I also would like to see Andy Timmons as third G. He is just awesome guitarist. :D

:eek: One of my friends is taking lessons from Andy. Andy is in the studio these days as a producer working with a young hard rock band with a talented lead guitarist. If you want to see Timmons you'll have to wait for the next Olivia Newton John tour, thats how he's making the money!! :wink: TG

Back