Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jackson Guitars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Jackson Guitars Reply with quote

Jackson soloist, I hear they are starting to get hot in the used market so I got one last Friday. Snow was predicted for Saturday so I went to Guitar Center for strings and parts to keep me busy while stuck in the house! They were taking this Jackson in trade on a LP Classic 60. A neck thru model with a Floyd black hardware and Candy Apple Red paint! I won't take it out of the house but it's a lot of fun! A Guilty Pleasure Indeed! $475 with a case,in 84 it retailed for $1200. Anybody else admit to one of these? Sounds best thru the FlextoneII in the rectified amp setting! Hey Jeff Beck used to play'em! Lord please forgive me,TG When I told one of my vintage freak friends what I did he confessed and brought his Jackson Dinky over...with a Metalic Flame paint job! It's been under the bed since the late 80's
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once hankered a Jackson soloist with the "King Crimson" paint job on the body. Looked real gooie.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the same as Charvell San Dimas?
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall Jacksons and Charvels were made in the San Dimas facility until they moved in 85'? This is a fun guitar to play but really doesn't have a character, Everything I play sounds like mid-80's MTV /Headbangers Ball. Its funny how people react to this thing like a guilty peasure, I've yet to hand it to a player that has'nt started with the Dive Bombs and just making those funny Steve Vai sounds. It's not a great jazz guitar but if the song needs the sound of an elephant in heat this is the one! TG
kherman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a big superstrat fan.
So let me get this straight though.
You got a '84 san dimas usa made Jackson soloist for only $475?
That's a steal. Most used USA Soloist fetch well over $700 and better.
Especially if it's in real good shape.
The Japan made Soloist Professional (standard and XL) usually fetch for under $600.

Eitherway, nice addition to your guitar collection. Congrats!

I myself am more of a Carvin fan. But, Jackson would be my second choice bar none.

Kent
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the G3 DVD and can't stop play'n this Jackson!TG
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the memories of Headbangers ball. My roommates and I would hurry home on Saturday night (unless we scored) to watch "the ball".

One of the guitars I would really like is a Heavy Metal Strat - preferably not pink. The have the sweetest necks. USA Strat pups in the middle and neck and a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge.

Ned
Porsche 911 Racing
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly

tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol G Boy , you are sooo right!!! But I must say that helacopter sounds and elephant noises can really add a lot to a good 12 bar blues! It really is a totally different instrument from what I usually play, but it it is a lot of fun! A return to the eighties and "Surfing with the Alien" stuff I haven't listened to in a long time...of all of those guys Satriani is a real melodic player and my fave. TG widdle'n away !
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep! my fave 80's effect noise was the old floyd growl - hit a note then whack the trem - brrrrrrrroowww..... lol!
I've got a strat that has a nicely balanced floyd on it and even the chords growl if you hit them a bit too hard
my other fave effect/technique from back then is the Frank Gambale sweep ......

boodlyiddlyooooooo

then up a tone

boodlyiddlyooooooo

bring back the widdlers
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3 with Yingwe showed up in the mail yesterday, I'l let you know what I think about that one. I want to see how fast he is with those fat stubby fingers he's got now! It's tough getting old as a rock star, the leather pants in a size 38, the hair plugs and extentions...or you go the other way and just give up and wear the official outfit of middle age fat guys, a big loud Hawiain shirt and shorts with an elastic waist!! Mrs. TG has instructions to Shoot me on Sight if and when that happens to me! TG
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG lol!

I have a story about Mr M

A few years ago (too many to remember), when Yngwie was a young upstart, I was recording at Zomba records studio in Willesdon and in the next studio was the man himself remixing a live album.........

with the tape speed down ...... overdubbing!!!!!!

believe it!

appparently those fat fingers were a bit off live even before they got fat

Still he's been staving off a proper job for longer than most so nuff respect is what I say.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody fairs well on the G3 tour next to Joe and Steve, Joe is my fave ! a great melodic player and Vai is just a monster! Malmsteen ...musical masturbation! The worst of what shredding was all about. I felt bad for him ...taste , restraint, feeling just don't fit into his world. I felt bad for Eric Johnson on the last G3. For godsake don't sing Eric!!! Red House? Paleeze! Satriani is a real playa! I'm looking for a JS Ibanez...I gotta have one just for Sh*ts and Giggles! A lot of respect for Vai, but for feeling it's Joe!!! Met a guy today with a collection of Conrad guitars MIJ , he had some nice Electromatic Gretsch models that I had'nt seen before. A shoreline gold Fender MIJ that's a beauty! Back to G3 , the only guy to hold his own with Joe and Steve was Dallas's own Andy Timmons, I saw them together on the first G3 with Fripp. I'm lost in Metal Land! ....help me! TG
frank thomson
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kherman wrote:
I'm still a big superstrat fan.
So let me get this straight though.
You got a '84 san dimas usa made Jackson soloist for only $475?
That's a steal. Most used USA Soloist fetch well over $700 and better.
Especially if it's in real good shape.
The Japan made Soloist Professional (standard and XL) usually fetch for under $600.

Eitherway, nice addition to your guitar collection. Congrats!

I myself am more of a Carvin fan. But, Jackson would be my second choice bar none.

Kent

no, he said he got a Soloist for $475. or am i missing something?
anyhoo, i really like charvels moreso than jackson...i had a few....but really liked my neckthru model 5.5 w/ the double EMGs...WOW!
now i just have a charvelstrat SSH.
kherman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frank thomson

no, he said he got a Soloist for $475. or am i missing something?
anyhoo, i really like charvels moreso than jackson...i had a few....but really liked my neckthru model 5.5 w/ the double EMGs...WOW!
now i just have a charvelstrat SSH.[/quote]

Yep, you missed it!

He said it was a '84.
Which would put it built in the san dimas factory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: