Correct string gauge ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozeshin said:
I have my acoustic set up with 9-42 like my electrics :eek:

:eek:

Wow. My acoustics have .013s, but are tuned down a whole step or are in Vastapol D or C# or Spanish G. My 12 string is set up for .010s, though I'd like to set it up for bigger strings.

As for tone, I only really noticed an improvement when increasing the gauge when using a slide, and the difference was huge. I use the same gauge for economic reasons, though I really don't have a problem making the music I want to with .011s on my 25.5", 25", or 24.75" scale guitars.

Pick one note and hammer/pull off the next two...
e.g.a scale played in legato might involve only picking 4 out of 8 notes.
I have my acoustic set up as an unamplified electric if you like....I like to be able to solo on the acoustic as I would an electric so hence they have similar actions.

I read somewhere that some shredders use super- glue to repair their fingertips during gigs in the event they are shredding their fingers instead of their strings.. :lol: I think the article was on this guy Steve Vai.. maybe a good tip when moving to heavier strings..

Another thing I find interresting about string gauge, is that in the old days, guitarstrings were heavier, so the old bluesplayers couldn?t bend their strings that much, they had to rely on other techniques like slides and double stops, timing and feel, harmonics and sometimes offcourse- dirty tone.. which I find very inspiring.
When people are shredding, the lefthand position resembles classical guitarplaying, which is great for fastpaced accurate and clean playing.
It seems like shredders refer more to the classical musical tradition,
maybe because this suits their technique better ?
It?s so funny listening to some of these metal boys discussing the dorian mode.. drinking their tea all dressed up like the devil himself!
What I am pointing at is that you can?t separate the form from the subject matter. Blues is not played like Bach. Nothing wrong with Bach though. But it?s a different ballgame. Fast for the sake of fast is just... fast.

Anyway thats just my opinion.
:-?

labbi said:
It seems like shredders refer more to the classical musical tradition, maybe because this suits their technique better ?.............

Fast for the sake of fast is just... fast.

Anyway thats just my opinion.
:-?

Exactly, which is why all technique and no feel can so easily sound cold & clinical. But lots of feel & limited technique can still sound vey moving - listen to Lightnin' Hopkins.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

:wink:

Exactly, which is why all technique and no feel can so easily sound cold & clinical. But lots of feel & limited technique can still sound vey moving - listen to Lightnin' Hopkins.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

:wink:[/quote]

Yes ! Or Booker T Washington (Bukka White), or Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed, Lightnin?Hopkins, Charley Patton, Blind Willie Mc Tell... and..and..and..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-vK-kX6p8&feature=related

Still, it?s just my (humble?) opinion.. :p

This old debate again. technique and feel are not mutually exclusive, there are plenty of players with both.

JohnA said:
This old debate again. technique and feel are not mutually exclusive, there are plenty of players with both.

Yes you are right, it?s an old discussion, but on the other hand, it?s springtime !
And to me they are not just old ideas.
If the discussion stops because the subject has been discussed before,
thats bad. I would also encourage younger players, who are probably more talented and 10 times faster than me to take a look at history.
That?s important even it?s old news. That?s the roots, and knowing them
gives a good sence of direction and progress.

Imo.

leadguitar_323 said:
Exactly John, i have heard this argument over and over again, i think it is sometimes used as a defense for a lack of skills..... :p

Mick

And what's wrong with that?

:wink:

Go easy on Mick...I sent him deaf tonight :p
Emailed him some .wav files of me mucking around with Amplitube and Audacity and may have made his ears bleed at some point :eek:

labbi said:
JohnA said:

Yes you are right, it?s an old discussion, but on the other hand, it?s springtime !
And to me they are not just old ideas.
If the discussion stops because the subject has been discussed before,
thats bad. I would also encourage younger players, who are probably more talented and 10 times faster than me to take a look at history.
That?s important even it?s old news. That?s the roots, and knowing them
gives a good sence of direction and progress.

Imo.

Totally agree, it's a discussion forum, so lets discuss!! :D

Also agree that there are quite a few players who have the chops, but no feel at all, a balance is a good thing IMO

Totally agree, it's a discussion forum, so lets discuss!! :D

Also agree that there are quite a few players who have the chops, but no feel at all, a balance is a good thing IMO

I only know pork chops :p , but anyway, I feel that what I have learned in terms of groove, and pulse I have picked up from some of the old delta blues guys, and despite their lack of technique seen from a present day perspective, I must admit that whenever I manage a slide or doublestop that doesn?t sound like a bad copy of either BB King or Clapton, but actually have some guts, I fall asleep a happy man. Listening to these old guys I hear that it was all there allready 80 years ago, and much of what I hear today is merely copies of copies of copies..
:D

Btw. I don?t make a living from playing, at best I am a dedicated amateur
looking for a teacher.

Back