Fender Vibroverb 63 Re-issue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on that! I'm just hoping tomorrow's rehearsal doesn't get snowed off like last weeks. I haven't had a chance to try the Jensens at volume yet.

stratman323 said:
Probably, but after reading the reviews on Harmony Central, most VV owners seem to regard them as pretty poor speakers. So I think I'm better off with Jensens.

I thnk Volker means in case you ever sell the amp, it would be nice to have some original speakers, if they are cheap enough it might be worth considering.

Ah, I see. Yes you have a point. I'm not sure I could justify buying another set of speakers just to keep them in a box in case I ever sell the amp though. I really can't see me selling this amp, it's just the ideal size, & so useful. Fingers crossed the Jensens will be an improvement. And more reliable too!

Well the Jensens seem to be fine, possibly a tiny bit less efficient, but that doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

In fact the only problem is me. :cry: I let my new Weber Mass slip out of my hands, & it's made a small tear in one of the new speakers. I used it at rehearsal yesterday, & I'm not sure it's affected the sound, but I decided to order another one. Apart from the fact that they have gone up in price already, they're out of stock till March - they have to be ordered from Italy. :( So I'm stuck with this till then - do you think it will hold out?

IMG_1162.jpg

That Weber thing seems to be more trouble than it's worth!

Get some bits of tissue paper, (buy some black stuff at an art shop) soak little bits about 1" circles in PVA glue and put 8-10 bits on the tear and work gently in to the shape of the speaker. Leave to dry overnight, and if you are really fussy paint with some matt black emulsion.

A repaired tear won't affect the sound of the speaker, but if you leave a tear there and don't repair it it will get bigger with use.

I've got speakers that were repaired like this 10 years ago and are still fine today.

So I can cancel that order for the new speaker? Or would you guys get it anyway?

stratman323 said:
So I can cancel that order for the new speaker? Or would you guys get it anyway?

If it was me I would just repair it, using my advice not Mick's :wink: I think superglue can go very brittle over time, the patch approach should last forever.

sorry to hear about the speaker- i have no idea how to fix that. i guess if you're considering ordering another one anyway, you might as well try john's advice to see if that works... :)

It looks as though John was right. :p I did a patch repair with 8 or 9 pieces of black tissue paper & some watered-down PVA glue. Work in progress:

IMG_1165.jpg

Drying:

IMG_1173.jpg

Finished repair, 24 hours later:

IMG_1178.jpg

24 hours after the repair, the amp was run for over an hour with the volume set on 10! It seems to have been a complete success, so I have cancelled the new speaker. I'm surprised, but very happy.

Thanks to John for his excellent advice.

:p

I have had a yard of replacement grille cloth for the Vibroverb on order since January from www.guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.com . Apparently Fender have changed their distributor, & nothing is coming in. This is a real pain.

:evil:

Can anyone help me with an alternative source for Fender grille cloth? I have suggested that the supplier I have ordered from tries Fender Japan, but I have no idea if they have anything suitable.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a close alternative I could use until I get the proper cloth? The trouble is that brown Tolex is quite a rare colour, & it's hard to get something that looks right.

Any ideas? Here's the cloth I need to replace.

142_4291.jpg

tube town maybe ( www.tube-town.de ) ? i've never ordered from them, just heard of them... they're based in germany. there are probably other places in the UK which'd be worth looking at too, but I haven't heard of them...

Ah, the tear got bigger? Erk.

Cream would work. It'll look different, but it'll work fine. If you want any mock-ups give me a shout; it's the work of seconds to colourise the grillcloth in photoshop.

AlanN said:
Ah, the tear got bigger? Erk.

Cream would work. It'll look different, but it'll work fine. If you want any mock-ups give me a shout; it's the work of seconds to colourise the grillcloth in photoshop.

Is it? So would this one (from the site Dave posted) work? It looks too bright, but it's the nearest they seem to have:

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p2129_Grillcloth-Fender-Beige-Brown-SAMPLE.html

Back