Whats your favourite amp?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a Total Rack Guy!

Here's my rig layout:

Nady 201 wireless
/
Rocktron Piranha tube preamp
/ /
BBE sonic Maximizer
/ /
Rocktron Intellifex <-----------> Behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller
/ /
Peavey 50/50 tube power amp
/ /
2 Sonic 4x12 Cabs.
One with Celestion G12m-70's.
One with Carvin Gt12-16's (Like a Vin30) .

Kent

I really like the Finnish Creamsound amps. HandMade A-class tube tone.
The tone is very creamy and rooty. It sings ;)

Specs above:

http://members.surfeu.fi/creamsound/cream2.html

br, Simppa

quite sweet sweet tone out of a LR custom into a 88 red knob fender twin (hah hah u all say!!....but try it) cranked hard with a Boss SD-1 with a Keeley mod.........and as Robert says TONE IS TONE BABY

Shaun

When I'm messing about it's my Love Rock LS75 Gold Top through my Fender Concert Rivera 82 model via Boss DS1, DD3 and CE5. When I need some volume its 70's Les Paul Custom or my Les Paul sunburst (don't know who made it though badged as Gibson) through JCM800.................http://www.bandofmojos.com/gallery.htm

My 2002 Tokai Gold Top is by far the best finished guitar I own, the frets and finish are faultless. My sunburst is battered and and plays itself and Custom ways a ton.

:eek: When I'm playing a Strat it's my 65' Super Reverb, with a LP/LR I have a Kendrick Texas Crude and with a Rick and a Gretsch It's the Vox BerkleyII but thru the POD ...the only way the Vox sounds good! :wink: TG

Has anyone tried the Laney VC30 2x10 at all? Or the 2x12 even?

Since selling the Marshall, I've been happy with the PODxt, but I've recently been GASing for an amp (and a Tele funnily enough, maybe all that listening to Quo in my early years has fuddled my brain), and after seeing the review in Guitarist a while back, I've been contemplating getting one.

Why the Laney? Cheap valve power.

The Matamp is still a goal. ;)

Hi Barry,

Ah,....so that Guytron thing,.... does that mean you?re not interested in my amp any more, :lol: LoL! Actually, between you & I (nobody else will see this, of course), I?m thinking of swapping that amp for a collectible vintage guitar ? the amp is really too loud for home use, & I just don?t use it any more :( ? at least I?d play the guitar (old Tele maybe) :-? .

Ian.

Hi Barry,

I think the speakers are hard wired, at least I?ve always assumed that (don?t think there are any obvious connectors) :eek: .

Eh?don?t know what a ?hotPlate? is :lol: LoL; but sure I could just use pedals for a little overdrive & reverb. However, nowadays I just play for fun, & an inexpensive little transistor amp will do for that for me - the Marshall should really go to a serious collector, or to someone using it for recording or whatever.

I think it?s a pretty difficult amp to value, and talk of money is a sure fire way to lose friends (which is why I haven?t floated the idea on 18watt.com). But as I say I don?t actually want to ?sell? it, instead I?d rather find a collector who?d like to swap for a nice vintage Tele (yeah, I know ? lots of pitfalls with supposedly ?original? vintage guitars, :roll: LoL!).

Ian.
Ps: I think Lexus are better than Ferrari (talking strictly of cars here!), not just different, but ?better?, :-? !

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for the info about THD etc., looks interesting; I?ll give that some serious thought :-? . However, I seem to have highjacked the original thread a bit here, so I?ll keep this stuff brief -

More I look (eg TDPRI forum), more it seems so-called ?100% original vintage Tele?s are ALL (literally ALL!) just ?parts-o-casters? (inc. top price stuff from George Grunn etc.) - I?d hate to swap a genuine untouched original amp for a parts-o-caster :eek: - haven?t changed my mind, just getting more wary, :-? LoL!

Be assured I wasn?t fishing for a sale or trying to jack up any price, absolutely NO WAY, LoL! OK, well now I know you?d be interested, I?ll be certain to email you BEFORE I take it further with anyone else :-? .

Price of vintage Tele?s? Well I?ve had to re-educate myself on that even over the last 24 hours - Broadcasters, NoCasters, & 1950?s Tele?s are all totally mad :eek: :eek: - I wasn?t thinking of those prices at all - maybe just buy an ?undesirable? 1970?s Tele instead, at least some of those ARE all original 8) !

OK, I?ll keep you in touch (email or whatever) :-? .

Ian.
Ps: yes, quite right, it?s ?Head & Heart?. But if you do ever have ?Ferrari money? maybe consider a 1960 250GT Berlinetta? Well I have to go now, have to take my Honda Civic for an MOT :( !

an 18 watter...yummy. i don't have any ancient teles tho. i do have an ancient strat. but, i couldn't trade her off, even for a very nice amp like the 18.

I really must make a point of mentioning the good old late 70's 50w Master Volume as my all time favourite amp. THD Hotplate and then into a Pre-Rola birch cab. I really can make this amp and my Tokai sound like Jimmy Page to The Darkness. I find that I have the most fun out of this simple set up.

Cool, can't believe this post is still going...... there's a lot of differnt sounds that I would really love to get my hands on!

Well, it WAS my 50 watt Marshall, but my new favorite is my Kendrick Black Gold 35 with 4/10's. Very Fenderish, kind of a tweed deluxe meets a Bassman ala Texas. I still love the Marshall though, it's just not my favorite anymore. It's so nice to have two great sounding amps that are so diffrent sounding, a real luxury.

Bill

I've been playing exclusively through my Guitar Port which is cool for jamming and learning new tunes. I plan on trying a Zvex Nano Head - 1/2 a watt class A tube power.

Ned

I have'nt had much experience with amps having never been in a band situation but I have an SJB 'Ant' combo which is really nice (class A 6L6 output valves). They are a little rare now as the Company has unfortunately closed down but worth checking out if any of you are looking for a good small amp. Its really unusual to see them for sale but by some chance there are 2 of them on Ebay right now!
Joe

Latest posts

Back