LCS85?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
Hi all

I found this one on ebay and was kind of thinking about chancing my arm (having been drawn toward white customs for a while, but only just come to terms with it......)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tokai-les-pau...14&_trkparms=72:1761|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Cosmetically it seems right for an LCS85- but I notice there's no "Made in Japan" on the headstock. From my experience all the MIJ Love Rocks seem to carry that - whereas some Korean ones do not.

What's the general view on that? At the moment I'm not sure if I'm keen enough to trouble the seller with photographing his cavaties. so thoughts welcome.

Cheers all

Hi
I, like you, get confused with IDing models. This looks like an earlier jap model and even though it doesnt have made in japan it does have the serial number stamped into the head,korean/china dont. It has the 2 screw truss rod cover, the K/C models have 3. the serial number makes it an early 2000 model and which I believe makes it an LC70S which equates to the LCS85 available today.

The guys on the forum will probs correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers

Krameree

TRC is correct for MiJ but that's not to say there isn't another hole lurking under there.
SOME Korean and chinese Tokai do have serials but the Chinese ones are usually prefixed with FC.
The only other deciding factor is to ask the seller for a close up of the tailpiece....if it anchors straight into the body it's MiJ...if the posts screw into a shaft then it's Korean.

Good point on the bridge - can't make it out on the image. Eitherway I emailed the seller with a couple of questions and so far no reply - as the auction has about an hour to run I doubt I'll be getting one. My gut feel is that the guitar is sound and seller are sound, but the lack of reply does make less inclined to bid.

Cheers guys

Ozeshin said:
TRC is correct for MiJ but that's not to say there isn't another hole lurking under there.
SOME Korean and chinese Tokai do have serials but the Chinese ones are usually prefixed with FC.
The only other deciding factor is to ask the seller for a close up of the tailpiece....if it anchors straight into the body it's MiJ...if the posts screw into a shaft then it's Korean.

Ozeshin, I have what I believe to be a Japanese LS-80Q, i'm really up on LS's and you've got me worried.

The tail piece=the bar that the strings go through??
On mine there appear to be two silver sockets into which the screws are scrrewed in.... does this mean i have a Korean???

I have finally bought a camera, Im just waiting for it to charge so I can post pic's soon.

Thanks.

I meant to say I'm NOT up on ls's.

My TRC has two holes and there are no other holes underneath, it does say MIJ on the bottom of the headstock. HDC is stamped in the front pup cavity along with LS85Q although the PUPS are unmarked.

Don't panic - Oz is referring to a nashville bridge - where the bridge fits into inserts that screw into the body and the bridge screws into them - My epi sg had the same arrangement. MIJ Tokai's mimic early gibsons by screwing directly into the body. Looking at my 05 LS70 the tailpiece itself sits in inserts, but the bridge is drilled in, no inserts.

It's sort of hard to explain - but if you see one you'll see the difference immediatly.

Interestly that Custom closed off at 386GBP - which was marginally higher that I was prepared (pronounced "allowed") to go.

I've really missed the Tokai scene in the last couple of years - time I dived back in a fit of pent up GAS!!

My MIJ LS90Q does not say 'Made in Japan' anywhere.

You know how Tokai like to keep everyone guessing. :wink:

Latest posts

Back