Cornell ... any experiences?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnabelrock

Reaction score
Hi,

my main amp is a Rivera Clubster. I am looking for a nice, simple practice amp and found the Cornell Romany. This may be right because it is simple, not too heavy, affordable and i like 10 inch speakers.

All I am looking for is a nice rocknroll tone as Georgia Satellites have. Do you have any experiences with Cornells?

Thanks, Schnabel

arclight05 said:
Ive heard the cornell harlequin is a great amp ... 6 watts only , but it all teeth and fur :D

You come up with some wonderful descriptions arclight05! In a different thread, you talked about a "spongy" sound, now it's "all teeth and fur"

:lol:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it's a great use of the English language :p

Mike

arclight05 said:
Ive heard the cornell harlequin is a great amp ... 6 watts only , but it all teeth and fur :D

Thanks for your efforts, but I have been asking for Cornell not Cornford :wink:

I once tried a Cornell Plexi, the one with a switchable rectifier, sounded amazing. Very Marshall but with a quality of it's own.

I don't know if you're still interested, Schnabelrock, (your post was over a year ago), but I have just collected a Romany Plus amp from Dennis Cornell himself, along with one of his Overdrive Special pedals (which will mainly be used with my main amp, not the Romany).

I'll post some observations when I've had a chance to try it properly, but I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't loved the sound. :p

I'm pleased to report that Dennis owns a very nice mid eighties Goldstar ST55, still with original stickers! It's like a combination of the two ST55s I recently sold, Metallic Gold with a maple neck. Pickups have been changed though.

8)

Mike

Book your flight to Leeds for next Saturday Dave, & you can try it out.

:wink:

I can't resist taking it with me, I'm interested to hear what other players think of it. Very early Fender sound, but with reverb.

:p

The Cornell Romany is a fantastic amp, really musical. Dennis knows his stuff, and he's a nice guy.

Yeah musical is a good word. I've been trying to think how to describe it, but that fits perfectly. It's an instrument in it's own right, & it's like I'm learning how to play it. I can't say I've ever really felt that from an amp before, though the Vibroverb running flat out in a big room comes close. But that doesn't happen often!

Latest posts

Back