ceriatone overtone special

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried an overtone, but have a Ceriatone JTM-45 which is amazing, much better amp than the Marshall Re-Issue! I've never heared a bad word about anything from Ceriatone.

Here's a pretty good demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwW3ZbnI6Cw

I've played one - they're a nice amp. I'm more of a Marshall guy though.....

took the plunge got an overtone special, will be here in 8 weeks..

heh fully assembled as I dont want to kill myself... I dont mind doing electrics on guitars, but tube amps scare me too much...

so I will be selling one of my cornford hellcats, probably the combo, to make way for this, as 2 hellcats was a silly decision really,

I also ordered a tube town t-rex cabinet with 2 celestion G12-65 Heritage speakers...

will update when its all here...

I tried it (I also tried Ceriatone JTM45, TW expres with 4xel84, TW with 2x el34, DC 30, JMP, Overtone specail (non HRM version)....) There is a guy in Slovenia who builds Ceriatone clones using his own transformers. When you come into his place you're in amp heaven ;)
All amps sounded great, I prefer TW with EL84 gor gain and JTM45 for clean. I tried several guitars (Tokai reborn old, Zion Ty Tabor signature, Fibenare Erotic, Fnedre stratocaster MIJ). Reborn was the winner, on all amps was fantastic sound.
Overtone is very universal amp, you can get great sound at low volumes. Definitelly on my wish list ;)
Here is a nice link to sound samples - guy is using Tokai guitar and two different overtone amps - HRM and non HRM version. Enjoy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhobscGmO0

ah excellent thanks,

I have the hellcat for the high gain stuff and I wanted something different with a dumble-esque flavour, I am hoping the overtone special will do that for me...

love those clips of marin...

I have an Overtone. Actuallly I?ve had it for around a year. Really cool amp. Sounds great.. but you need a bit of time to find your tone (at least I needed). If you just dial everything on 12 o?clock and plug your guitar, there?s a big chance that?ll not sound that good at all. Like any Dumble-based amp, it?s not exactly a "plug and play" amp. You might spend some time searching for a good sound initially. It?s also very speaker-sensitive. I?ve tried it a couple of days ago on a Blackstar loaded 4x12 (with vintage 30s) and it didn?t sound good. Quite harsh actually. It?s a totally different amp when connected to my 1x12 cab loaded with a G12-65. Smooth and fat. Dumbley.

For those that are patient enough to spend a few minutes/hours searching tones and messing with the controls, there are some really, really, amazing tones inside.

It?s one of those amps that will stay here at home for a long time, for sure..

8)

That's a good amp. I have made a direct comparison with my Fuchs ODS, and it helds its own.
As Alpedra said, it can take some time to find your tone as you want it to be, but that also was the case with my Fuchs. So you will certianly have to fiddle with the internal trimmers.
The cab and speakers are also very important, G12-65s are a good choice, open back cab is also better I think for those amps.
And finally, the tones I prefer with those amps are usually with 335 style guitars.

Nope - kept hold of it as your offer sounds like the best way forwards, though things are still dragging on with the solicitors. You'll know when I know, I promise :)

yes i had a car accident claim..took 2 years!!

I been playing that EX-2 a lot recently, It really is a wonderful guitar, to be honest I would keep it if I was a 335 player, heh but I am LP's 90% of the time so it would be a waste...but it still astounds me every time, its one of those guitars that makes you play new things if you know what I mean.

its arrived and I was a bit overwhelmed for a couple of days, so many tonal variations!!

now after a week of near continuous playing its burned in and sounds amazing, cleans are huge and crisp, and the overdriven tone is what I have been looking for since I was 15!!

best amp I have ever played, but takes some getting used to..

a keeper.

hey mick, I cant stop playing it,

when u get yours, leave it on for a couple of days with everything at 12 oclock, to burn in the componants, it just gets sweeter and sweeter..

Dumble inspired amps can be a bit difficult to dial in at first, but after a while you'll find your favorite settings and most likely stick to it.
Congrats anyway :)

Latest posts

Back